Riu Ocho Rios and other Qs

Online Users: 1,332 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 514

bex1975 Posts : 60 Registered: 1/15/07
Riu Ocho Rios and other Qs
Posted: Jan 19, 2007 12:25 PM

Hi! Does anyone know anything about the Riu in Och Rios and their wedding packages? We were thinking about Beaches, but then I saw a lot of people talking about the Riu and we looked at it online. It looks beautiful. My understanding is that the wedding is NOT included. We are simple people and want a simple wedding. Does anyone have rought estimates on what a DW is costing? We have a pretty good budget to work with, just don't want anthin over the top.

Also...I see a lot of people using abbreviations...is there a cheat sheet somewhere I can use to k now what they all mean? Such as OOT bags?

Thanks and sorry for being so long winded!

Re: Riu Ocho Rios and other Qs
Posted: Jan 19, 2007 9:06 PM Go to message in response to: bex1975

Hi Bex1975,

We are having our wedding at the Riu Ocho Rios in July.  The place looks amazing and I just can't wait to go!  Here's a link to the weddings there http://www.weddingsbyriu.com/index.php . Where it says "destination" go down to Ocho Rios, then there are a bunch of different wedding packages (including the free package) click on the blue print that says "see details" for prices and what's included. 

We are using Elite travel (Tammy, the owner I think) posts here all the time, but she hooked us up with Donna, who is absolutely great!  She has been so helpful.  So if you need a planner/ travel agent, she's your woman! 

As far as the abbreviations go, you'll get used to it.  Here's one that may help you get started, OOT bags = out of town bags (you know, like for your guests when they arrive at the hotel).

Good luck with your planning and have fun!!!  If you do decide to go with Riu let meknow, I'll keep you updated on how everything goes!

Posted: Jan 21, 2007 8:10 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

Hi FutureMrsGregorczyk

Thanks for the info! So far my FI seems to like the Riu better than Beaches...so let meknow how your planning is going!

Thanks again! Becky

elitegrp Posts : 1,048 Registered: 9/12/06
Posted: Jan 22, 2007 10:31 PM Go to message in response to: bex1975

Hi

We have done quite a few weddings at the RIU, and now have become their VIP''s of weddings.  When you have your weddings there we report that to the VP of operations and you are VIP'd.  Weddings are included if yoiu book 5 rooms or more.  The one thing I like there is that you dont see another 20 brides all around getting married.  It is the largest hotel in Jamaica right now.. and they price fantastic.  its not a hype.. in advertising.  If you go to my site.. you should see some great posts of testimonials.  Just let me know if i can help you in anyway.

Thanks

T

Cool Have a great day! and Congrats to you

Tammy

Posted: Jan 26, 2007 9:56 PM Go to message in response to: elitegrp

Hi Tammy, I am getting married at Riu in Ocho Rios in May 2007.  I'm so excited, nervous, and anxious.  I've already booked the wedding date at their resort, which was not the date that I wanted, but was able to get a date close to it.  I've been trying to get in contact with someone personally and I've been unsuccessful.  I was just wondering if you could possibly give me some direction, advice.  I am in desperate need of help.  Can you help me please? :-(  Thanks Tammy :-)

Judy

Posted: Jan 26, 2007 10:04 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Hello,  good luck on your wedding.  I too am planning on getting married at Riu in Ocho Rios in May 2007.  I will report back afterwards with some feedback. 

Judy

Posted: Jan 27, 2007 8:14 AM Go to message in response to: bex1975

Hi,

I am also getting married at the RIU Ocho Rios in 07/2007.  The resort is beautiful and after researching since September I've heard mostly good reveiws from people who got married there. 

You have to register online at the "Riu Website." This process consist of:

1. Picking your wedding location, date and arrival date, which you must arrive 48 hours before your wedding day.
  2. Picking a time slot for your wedding
  3. Picking what type of ceremony you would like to have etc.
  4. After going through the process you will be given a "booking number" which after that you can start emailing the Wedding Coordinator (Chandlyn) at "weddings.ori@riu.com"

We are purchasing the Caprice wedding package which is $1875 (this is the most expensive package),  the steel band x 1hr for $250, and a private dinner (plantation restaurant) for $500 x 2hrs.  If we choose to have a semi private dinner in one of the specialty restaurants it will be free.  If we have 30 or more guests we have to upgrade to the private dinner.  If you want to rent out the private hall for the whole evening it is $1000.  They also have free wedding packages.  We will also be purchasing the upgraded photo package for $310.  When you go and register for your wedding at RIU an optional services sheet will appear allowing you to see the prices for any upgrades that you may like. 

Also try this website to see some pics of arches offered by RIU: http://www.riubambu.com/photopost/showgallery.php?cat=615

As far as Wedding Lingo that we use, here is a cheat sheet from a well known knottie: http://www.theknot.com/co_profileview.htm?profilename=boardlingo

I hope this helps!  When I come back from my wedding I will be posting an extensive review about my experience on tripadvisor.com

If anyone has pictures of their wedding day please send them to computerlove1229@aol.com if you dont mind.  I'd really appreciate it.  I haven't seen any pics of the private reception hall/ Plantation restaurant.  I am really nervous about planning my wedding at a distance and like everyone else want it to go well.  I can also be anal at times. 

Please post any helpful info past, present or future brides.  It will be helpful to us all.  We can use this as the RIU Ocho Rios forum to exchange info. 

Hope to talk to you soon. Cool

Shirea 

Posted: Jan 27, 2007 12:19 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Hi Shirea,

Thanks for the information and good luck on your wedding.  I'm sure everything will be fine.  Since my wedding is before yours, I'll be sure to post my feedback about the resort so that you and everyone else that is planning on getting married there will have some insite on what to expect.

Are you working with a travel agent or are you making the travel arraingements on your own?  I've checked out a couple of websites that offer all-inclusive deals, one of which is cheapcarribean.com and appletravel.com.  Their packages are really good especially cheap carribean.  They're offering for an unlimited time, passport reimbursement up to $97.00 pp.  Passports are a must to travel, you will not be able to travel to the carribean without it.  They also offer free travel ins, free $5.00 phone cards, ski med, which is an airplane that will fly you back home in the case of an emergency, or you happen to get sick during your vacation, they will fly you back home directly without any penalties or extra cost. They offer other perks that I can't think of a this moment, but it seems like a great deal.  As for group rates, they do offer that at a discount, you need a group of atleast 10 people to be eligible, however all parties must book at the same time and on the same flights in order to get the discount. 

Anyhow, I thank you once again for sharing your information and I hope all goes well for you on your day.

Judy

Posted: Jan 27, 2007 1:34 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

If you were booking an airline ticket, I would tell you book online.  Dont ever book anything with this importance online!  if you have any issues where are you going to go? who are you going to go to?? as an example we are here for our clients 24/7 and give discounts for multiple rooms without a contract like these others are doing.  Please be careful, I have heard horror stories and then try to help brides after the fact.

Tammy

Posted: Jan 29, 2007 12:17 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Shirea,

I have a question that I was hoping you could answer.  Under the Caprice wedding package where it says "* Candlelight dinner with a fresh floral table decoration at one of our specialty restaurants," is that like the reception dinner or is that like just a private dinner later in our stay for just the two of us?

Thanks for your help!

Jessica 

Posted: Jan 29, 2007 3:29 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I am happy to see there are more Riu brides out there.

Any concerns any of you have had so far? I am still in the planning stages......

Posted: Jan 31, 2007 11:13 PM Go to message in response to: bex1975

sent you an email..

I can answer all your questions... 

Look forward to hearing from you

Tam

Tammy

Posted: Feb 1, 2007 10:12 AM Go to message in response to: elitegrp

I'm also getting married here and was told by Chandlyn that they can't accommodate my request for a private reception after my wedding (07/21/2007).  Does anyone know of any nice place near the resort that does wedding receptions?  Any information would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

Posted: Feb 1, 2007 10:23 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

does anyone have the email for the wedding planner at the riu. I really need on info but website doesn't relate to me and i'm gettin no where

Posted: Feb 1, 2007 12:20 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Good luck getting in touch with the wedding planner at Riu.  From what I've heard she's very nice, but stinks at correspondence (sp?).  I've read a few things about her on tripadvisor.  Here's her email weddings.ori@riu.com .  As far as I can tell she doesn't want to be emailed unless you have already booked your wedding and it's been confirmed, but try anyway!  If she emails you back right away let me know, I've been waiting for a response since Monday and my wedding has been confirmed for a while, I'm kinda getting annoyed now.  Anyway, good luck

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine