Ladies I need help, Chicago propsoal ideas....

Online Users: 1,307 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 22
Ladies I need help, Chicago propsoal ideas....
Posted: Jan 28, 2007 9:46 PM

I stumbled across this website by doing a search for proposal ideas in Chicago. I am from the Cincinnati area and will be in Chicago the last weekend of next month.

I want to make this something really special. My girlfriend's father passed away unexpectedly 2 weeks ago and she really needs something to lift her spirits. I have brought up the idea of going out of town for a weekend next month to just get away for a few days.

We have talked in the past about marriage and I had planned on doing it later this summer. I was able to work a lot of overtime shifts at the firehouse and picked up a part time job so I was able to save the money to pay off the ring quicker. She should be totally suprised. I just need to come up with something good.
I have thrown around a lot of ideas. Here are some of the things I can come up with.

1. Asking on the observation deck of the Sears tower or the Hancock building.

2. Taking a horse drawn carriage ride around downtown and stopping and doing it somewhere.

3. Somewhere on Navy pier. There are many possibilities here.

4. Take one of the boat dinner cruises on the lake and ask there.

5. Take a limo ride around the city and stop somewhere and ask.

These are just a few of my ideas, but all seem kinda cheesy. I wanna do something personal and very memorable. Anybody have any ideas on how to personalize these?

Re: Ladies I need help, Chicago propsoal ideas....
Posted: Jan 28, 2007 10:34 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I have a post around here somewhere about my FH's proposal in downtown Chicago.  If you can find it, it's kind of funny.  Anyway, back to ideas.  You could ride the ferris wheel at Navy Pier at sunset, and do it at the top, or you could go to Milennium Park and propose under "The Bean".  Any of your other ideas sound wonderful as well.  Does she have any particular interests that you may be able to play into?

Posted: Jan 28, 2007 10:40 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

She is a photographer and loves to take pictures. We take pictures of everything we do and everywhere we go. I was maybe trying to incorporate that into it somehow. Maybe go around to some of the popular places and take pictures...maybe make it like a game where I give her hints and we find the places together and take pictures....ultimately ending up at the predetermined place where I would ask....and try to find somone else to take her picture......I dunno....just trying to think of something special and very memorable....She deservres the best.

Posted: Jan 29, 2007 1:36 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Hmmm....I'm going to have to think about this.  The picture idea is awesome - maybe kind of like a scavenger hunt.  I'll try to get back to you with some ideas.  Other than photography, does she have any other interests you could tie in to it?

Posted: Jan 29, 2007 8:00 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I can't really think of much of an interest that I could tie into it. She likes everything.lol It's gonna take some thinking.

Emerald928 Posts : 155 Registered: 3/31/06
Posted: Jan 29, 2007 8:44 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I'm a Chicago native, so I hope I can help.

If you like the idea of the Hancock building, the restaurant at the top called the "Signature Room" is a classic, and has some of the best views of the city...

The Cheesecake Factory is great as well...

Spiaggia or Wildfire are amazing restaurants, but price. The Grand Luxe Cafe is beautiful, but has cheaper prices.

For scavenger ideas, you can do something cute like send her on a hunt to Macy's (formerly Marshall Field's--the pinnacle of Shopping in Chicago) or to Watertower Place (a huge 7 story mall next to the Ritz Carlton) to find a dress for the night.

If you wanted to give her clues about rings and diamonds, Wabash Ave., near Monroe, is called Jewelers Row. There is a great diamond store called "Diamonds on Wabash."

A great location is Buckingham Fountain, (which is great for photographers). It has the view of the lake in the background, and is usually covered in white lights, and with recent weather will most likely be covered in icicles.

If you need any more ideas, please let me know :)

Posted: Jan 30, 2007 11:34 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

Ok....So I have been doing a lot of thinking and research. I wanna run my idea past the women and see what they would think of this.

We arrive in town Friday afternoon. Just kinda spend the day hanging out. I tell her that Sat I want to spend the day seeing the sights around the city. I make up a scavenger hunt type of game for her. She will get hints and have to use a city tour type book to find each place. We stop at each one and check it out. She has to document them all by taking pictures. We leisurely hang out around the city for most of the day. We end up at Navy pier in the late afternoon...early evening. I give her hints to lead her to the dinner cruise boat. We board the boat at 7 pm and it cruises around the lake and we eat. When it is dessert time, the waiter brings out a cake that simply says, Marry Me?

What do you all think of this? Be honest.......Thanks ladies.

Posted: Jan 30, 2007 12:17 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I think that's an excellent idea!  I know I would love it!

kelleyiskelley Posts : 11,590 Registered: 7/2/06
Posted: Jan 31, 2007 10:34 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

Hi. I really really like this idea. its so thoughtful and I like that it sort of lasts all day long. Just make sure that the actual proposal/cake etc is also caught on camera somehow. Since she likes to get each moment on film, it would be a shame to miss THE moment. But you obviously cant have HER holding the camera. SO, seconds before teh cake comes out, make up a reson to grab her camera from her and then YOU take the picture when she sees the cake... OR let the waiters and staff in on your surprise and make sure to arm one of them with a disposable camera so that there will be pictures of this moment. I love it and so will she. You are so thoughtful.:)
Kelley Lynn:)

Posted: Feb 4, 2007 12:31 AM Go to message in response to: kelleyiskelley

I just thought I would update you. I have decided this will be my plan. I have paid for the hotel and the boat cruise. The ring is out getting sized this week. Now I just need to make up the route for the trip around the city that day, I kind of got it figured out in my head. I will give her notes....maybe on index cards or something creative if I can figure out what...She has to lead us to that destination. I think it will all work out perfect. I plan on saving all the stuff from the tour and using it with the pictures and other souveniers we get and putting it all together. She has a birthday in April and I want to take all the stuff and make a picture type book and story for her and get it printed. Now I just hope it warms up the next 3 weeks.

kelleyiskelley Posts : 11,590 Registered: 7/2/06
Posted: Feb 4, 2007 2:06 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Foster, I am loving this more and more!

You can get a scrapbook, and then put all the stubs, pictures,brochures, and whatever else from that day in there for her birthday. Make sure she takes a TON of pictures all day long, ending with the proposal itself. This will be so great:)

Kelley Lynn:)

Posted: Feb 9, 2007 12:21 AM Go to message in response to: kelleyiskelley

Such a cute idea!!!!! I would write the clues on something a little nicer than index cards, you know she will keep them forever! Good Luck!!

Posted: Feb 9, 2007 10:30 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Yeah I wanna make the clues something nicer than just plain cards. I can't really think of anything though...got any ideas?

Posted: Feb 11, 2007 12:17 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

You don't need anything fancy. Just some nice paper, or nice notecards would be good. If you really want to get creative you could go to a scrapbooking store and get things to make small little personalized note cards and such to make each one unique. Just a couple of ideas! =)

Posted: Feb 11, 2007 12:43 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

I am lovin' this thread.  What a cute and thoughtful idea!!!  Let us know how everything goes!!

You had mentioned her father had recently passed--how sad..maybe at the end of your weekend ya'll can do a little tribute to her father-I don't know what but maybe something new in his honor...I don't want your great occasion to be spoiled by sadness so maybe you can add something in that is sweet and sentimental.

Let us know how everything goes...

El

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine