Can't get ceremony room for rehearsal - what should I do?

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 13

ChrissLady Posts : 1,352 Registered: 4/5/06
Can't get ceremony room for rehearsal - what should I do?
Posted: Jan 9, 2007 3:00 PM

I was talking to sales coordinator at the facility where I plan to have the ceremony and reception.  The place is not booked on the day of my wedding, but the room that the ceremony will be in is booked the night before.  What should I do about the rehearsal?  I know that it isn't brain surgery or anything, but I would still like to do a run through with the group.  However, FH does not want to see me before the ceremony.  So I was thinking since the florist is going to be there from 8 -12 maybe everyone except him can come and do a quick run through.  What do you guys think?

Re: Can't get ceremony room for rehearsal - what should I do?
Posted: Jan 9, 2007 3:16 PM Go to message in response to: ChrissLady

Hey ChrissLady, just a thought...You think you could do it 2 days before the wedding. That's how we are doing my Rehearsal. Also, what about your FH. If you do, do the quick run thru without him, when will he get to do it too?

Samala Posts : 561 Registered: 12/19/06
Posted: Jan 9, 2007 3:29 PM Go to message in response to: ChrissLady

I'd go woth a couple days before. There is more to it than just kowing where to stand.  You need to know what cues to look for, when groomsmen and Bridesmaids come down the aisle, and knowing what exactly is in the ceremony. 

And as a bonus if you do it 2 days before you can relax the night before your wedding. You could have a party for everyone that is in town or you and your fiance could have an evening together to reflect on the momentus occasion happening the next day.

I would realy recomend NOT doing it the day of. You will have way too many other things to do that morning to want to learn then what you will be doing.

.:Samala:.

Can't wait till September 15, 2007!

Posted: Jan 9, 2007 3:36 PM Go to message in response to: Samala

I would say to do it 2-3 before then. I wouldn't want to do it without FH. At my rehersal we had to go through it twice (tricky hand movements for the rings and how my mom "gave me away") And I STILL had to basically move DH's hands for him during the ceremony! I would definatley reccomend having him there

Posted: Jan 9, 2007 3:44 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I guess it wouldn't be too bad.  My sister was thinking about having the bachelorette party that Thursday anyway.  I hope it won't inconvenience anyone though.  My officiant will be coming in from out of town, but his drive is only 1 or 1.5 hours though.  Everyone else should be in town by then I guess.  I left a message to see if the room is available on the 20th.  Thanks for the input.

Posted: Jan 9, 2007 3:52 PM Go to message in response to: ChrissLady

Just got off the phone.  It's booked Thursday also.  She said that typically people do the rehearsals the day of because they don't want to pay the 1/2 room rental fee.  Plus I just talked to my MOH and she has to work Sunday - Thursday.  Her boss is giving her Friday - Monday off.  I don't know what else to do.

Samala Posts : 561 Registered: 12/19/06
Posted: Jan 9, 2007 4:30 PM Go to message in response to: ChrissLady

How is your venue set up? is it basic or a lot of area to move to an from during the ceremony? And how complicated is your ceremony? If it's not too bad, have the rehersal at a different location and figure stuff. What order are people walking down the asile? What will the cues be? What exactly will happen during the ceremony? That you don't HAVE to have a location. It's nice but as long as you know the venue, you could manage. 

I would say only do day of after you have planned and talked about other things elshwere. Then I could see popping in for a quick run. But you don't want to be figuring things (Like tricky hand movements) out on the day of your wedding.

.:Samala:.

Can't wait till September 15, 2007!

Posted: Jan 9, 2007 4:52 PM Go to message in response to: ChrissLady

What about a different TIME on Friday????  You really could do it in like 45 min or less.  OR...you could do a pretend one at someones house or something and SEPARATELY go in just YOU and FH a totally different time and explain to him the order of everything.  Print up a good outline for EVERYONE to have anyway, and if you can get in there with anyone who is doing special music, that would be good to.  I was missing 1 GM and 1BM for my rehearsal and it was kind of chaos...but the ceremony still went perfectly!  Has anyone already been in a wedding before??? Really, there is not a lot to explain if you have the music timed out already and they know where to walk.  I know I don't know your venue, but hopefully a coordinator or someone will be there to help direct things the day-of.  I would say DON'T hold the rehearsal the day of...I'd rather not have any rehearsal at ALL than do that...but that is just my own opinion!  Good luck!!!!  It will all work out, I promise.  :)

Posted: Jan 10, 2007 8:19 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

What kind of tricky hand movements would there be?  The only people I foresee having to 'rehearse' are the groomsmen and bridesmaids just so they know when to come in and where to stand during the ceremony.  What other things did you ladies rehearse?

Posted: Jan 10, 2007 10:57 AM Go to message in response to: ChrissLady

At rehearsals I've been to we rehearsed the whole thing.

Where the bm's and bride will be while they wait to go down the aisle, the order and speed they go down, when the next girl knows when to go down the aisle, where they stand during the ceremony, where they face, the vows, the ring exchange, the kiss has always been skipped, the announcement, the recessional... oh and how to hold your boquet, how a BM should stand so they reduce the risk of passing out, the MOH's responbilities of holding the bouquet and the rings and fixing the veil... lighting of the unity candle.. >EVERYTHING.

If I were you with that predicament, I'd just have the rehearsal elsewhere.  I don't want to have mine the day of.

November 3, 2007 I marry my best friend!

Posted: Jan 10, 2007 12:17 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I honestly think the most important people at the rehersal is the bride, groom, whoever is giving the bride away, and FG & RB (if young children) Other than that, it is walking and standing, which you can do without practicing. And at one point you hand your MOH your boquet, but I doubt she would need to rehearse that. I mean, you turn and hand it to her. Not hard. Mine was mom walked me down the aisle, holding my right hand then took my hands and put them in my DH's hands, then it was weird how I handed my boquet to MOH while holding DH's hand still and then had to flip them to do the rings. But, anyway...we went through the whole cerimony, and how to leave as well. So I would say to do it when YOU and FH can both be there!!

H4M Posts : 49 Registered: 3/30/06
Posted: Jan 10, 2007 7:42 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Have you're rehersal somewhere else. Hold it at the resturant or your home where ever you are having your rehersal dinner. Its the structure of the ceremony you need to practise and you don't need the true location to thrash out any last minute details. My FSIL's rehersal was inside at the resturant where they held their rehersal dinner cos it was raining and we couldn't have a practise run through of the ceremony at her out door location. It worked fine and everything was a breeze on the day! Good Luck

H

Posted: May 7, 2007 4:02 PM Go to message in response to: H4M

OK, so now here's the deal. There is a convention the week of my wedding, that is held every year. The sales coordinator says they never use it the entire day on Friday, but for some reason they think they need it this year.  So I called around and most of the places want upwards of $300 to rent the room, that's almost the cost of the actual ceremony site.  How much did you spend on the rehearsal including food?  I am looking at about 40 people including SO's and parents of FG, BM, and ushers.  I don't want it to be the reception all over again.

WWW.MYWEDDING.COM/CHRISTOPHERANDMONICA

auntofthebride Posts : 9,354 Registered: 4/2/06
Posted: May 7, 2007 5:32 PM Go to message in response to: ChrissLady

dear CL,

Can you block out an approximate space in your backyard where you could rehearse the night before? Or any other open space, like a local park or Moose Lodge?

The idea is to get people to line up in proper order, move at certain music cues, etc. If the "real" space is unavailable, why not do the same thing in "pseudo" space? Block out an aisle with lawn chairs or chalk on the ground.

Might work; might not.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine