Destination Wedding vs Traditional Wedding

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 15
Destination Wedding vs Traditional Wedding
Posted: Oct 23, 2006 12:04 PM

My wedding is less than a year away and I have yet to put down deposits on anything due to financial issues. My fiance and I would paying for the wedding on our own and are calling around for quotes on reception halls, photographers, videographers, transportation etc...  We have started to consider a destination wedding. Would we cut back on expenses by doing this? If we go with a destination wedding I am not sure where to begin with the planning and how far in advance I have to begin. Any suggestions? 

Re: Destination Wedding vs Traditional Wedding
Posted: Oct 23, 2006 1:53 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Hi fallbride1007!  WE are having a DW and we haven't made any plans as of yet, bacause it's 18 months away, but I would suggest getting a travel agent.  You will probably get a reply from elitegrp.. I think that's her name.  She is getting married and also a business woman.  You have to really decide on where you want to go.  We knew we wanted to go to Jamaica and to a Sandals Resort.  It is much cheaper than a traditional wedding.... go somewhere that is an all inclusive!  Most everything is included.  Alcohol, non alcohol drinks, food.  How many people you are going to invite is something to think about first off too!  Sandals does charge for extra guests at the reception.  Search a destination wedding site.  www.sandals.com or www.beaches.com or theres more than that.  But you have to decide those things first and then go from there. Hope I helped and you can message me anytime for advice! :)  Good Luck!

Posted: Oct 23, 2006 1:57 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Thanks! That is very helpful especially since I am not sure where to start. Is Sandals kid friendly? Sandals looks beautiful!

Posted: Oct 23, 2006 2:04 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Sandals isn't kid friendly, but Beaches is.  Beaches is a resort under Sandals.  Sandals is adult only and Beaches is everyone.  Do you have an idea of where you want to go?

There are only a few Beaches in Jamaica, so you have to go to a particular city to get to a Beaches

Beaches is alittle bit more expensive, but I'm sure it's worth is.  THey have a water park and they have nanny services too :)

Posted: Oct 23, 2006 2:25 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Fallbride, I too have been pondering this question for quite some time now.  What I have figured out is that yes it will be less expensive if you go the DW route, since there are so many details you won't have to worry about, just decorations alone will save you since a beach is beautiful already.  What I liked most is that if your guests don't know what to expect then they will be less likely to have high expectations. I know guests have mention to me before, "they only had 6 appetizers and 2 stations!"  Its just so petty. BUT with all this said, there is still this uneasy feeling I get.  Sure I'm saving money but my guests have to shell out more money and inconvienence.    But everyone on here will tell you your guests will do it for you. Sorry I probably just confused you more.... It is a hard decision, so just know your not alone.

Posted: Oct 23, 2006 2:53 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

We are thinking about Hawaii but again the I want to take into consideration the kids. So if I can find something with nanny services that would be great. I will have to look into Beaches. 

Posted: Oct 23, 2006 4:00 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

dear fallbride,

it's not too late to plan a destination wedding (i booked my spring 2007 wedding in late summer 2006), especially for the fall when i  imagine you can also get good deals since it's off season.  one thing to consider is the legal requirements.  we eliminated places that required more than a 48 hour residency requirement (e.g. mexico) because that meant giving up a vacation day that we'd rather use on our honeymoon.  depending on how many people you'd invite, you could probably save around 10,000, but a destination wedding is far from cheap.  i, too, am going to Jamaica (Beaches) and will end up spending about $15K, not including honeymoon or rings for about 40-50 guests.  another way to start your search is to consider whether children may attend--some of resorts that would have been of interest didn't permit children, so we excluded them (although sometimes you can bring up to so many children onto the resort for an hour or so for your actual wedding--however, we wanted them there for a long weekend to make the wedding a mini family reunion).  i think all-inclusives make it easier on people, although they can sound pricier at the start.  talk to a travel agent about the best all inclusives.  although, i would not necessarily use a travel agent.  i did not find that i needed one at all.

Dancer Posts : 316 Registered: 4/23/06
Posted: Oct 23, 2006 4:05 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Look for past threads. I've seen quite a few regarding hawaii brides. I would just advise you to work as fast as possible since your wedding is under a year. Most DW brides give people 12 months notice so that they have time to plan for the expense. There is someone that post more for business purposes, elitegrp. She'll probably be able to offer you more assistance. 

RDWM Posts : 1,354 Registered: 9/27/06
Posted: Oct 23, 2006 4:10 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

A DW can save you money. It depends on if you are going to end up having an at home reception when you get back. If so you will probably spend even more. Thats been my experience anyway.

Danille

Daisypath Ticker

Posted: Oct 23, 2006 4:31 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I took four months to make my desision btwn DW and a Wedding in NYC. We are getting married in JA for About $4000. This   place is excellent and it has nanny service for about $10 USD/HR.  We see it like this, people ususally take one vacation a year. They can make your wedding there vacation for the year. we only expected 40 people and we are going to end up with 60- 70 guest. One thing is for sure the people who are truely happy for you and want to be there will get there. www.coyabaresort.com

Posted: Oct 23, 2006 4:37 PM Go to message in response to: RDWM

We are getting married in Jamaica 6/23/07, its right at the end of high season so the prices are quite reasonable. We chose a small resort called Coyaba Beach Resort for the following factors: They have nanny services, since the hotel has only 48 rooms our wedding will have the whole hotel, if all your guests are staying on an AI plan they give you a private reception with a menu of your choice for $15 a head (every other property I looked into didn't offer this or charged around $70/ head for a private reception) the total cost of the reception, flowers,ect. is $5500 however this includes $2500 for a regae band for three hours. (im sure most people wouldnt opt for this) The only $ we have spent so far besides our room deposit is $1000 deposit for the hotel that will be used toward any wedding aspect. We are not having a reception when we return because anybody we really wanted to have is making the trip to Jamaica. When all is said and done we will be spending about 1/4 of the money we would have spent here. I would however suggest a destionation closer then Hawaii unless you live on the west coast. Good luck with whatever you plan. The destination wedding idea has been great for us!! www.coyabaresort.com

Message was edited by Jillann on Oct 23, 2006 4:41 PM

Posted: Oct 23, 2006 4:44 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I am getting married there June 16 2007. How many guest are you having? Did you visit before you booked?

Posted: Oct 25, 2006 9:19 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

Hi! We are planning a destination wedding in Tulum, Mexico in June. It is 60 miles outside of Cancun, but it is not as crazy and a lot more relaxed. my friend just got married in Jamaica at Couples Swept Away and it was alright. I have been to Mexico before and I think the atmosphere is a lot better. In regards to Sandals and Beaches. We had priced these and they were really expensive in comparison to resorts in Mexico. The resort that we are going to have our wedding at is Dreams Resort. www.dreamsresorts.com. We had the same problem with trying to finance our wedding and this place had great rates and we found an awesome travel agent that has bent over backwards for us. Her name is Nancy Barkley and her website is www.honeymoonsandgetaways.com. I can't tell you how big of a help she has been! Anyways, I hope this helps and good luck with your planning. It is probably the most stressful thing I have gone through trying to determine where to have it.

misses Posts : 91 Registered: 8/2/06
Posted: Oct 26, 2006 1:19 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Congrats on your engagement! We also chose Jamaica for our July 2007 wedding. As others have told you, the best way to decide is to speak to some travel agents. Check with local ones as well as internet ones. Also talk to both families to see what family members are willing to join you.(you'll be surprised at the result) Check out some travel websites to get a general idea of what it costs for that particular time of year, and you'll find which resorts can accomodate your needs. We chose Breezes resort because it was all-inclusive(which is best for your guests) and because the wedding was also included. If you have a good travel agent they will help with info about the resorts(i.e cleanliness, service, etc.) I started planning in August and my mom complained that certain family members wouldn't want to participate because of the costs, I booked the trip in September and I told my travel agent that maybe 15 people would be joining us. I sent out invites to everyone I wanted to attend, and my travel agent called on Oct 3 to say that 45 people booked their trips for my wedding. My mom is still eating her words. lol I originally planned for 10 rooms and now the number of rooms is 30.

elitegrp Posts : 1,048 Registered: 9/12/06
Posted: Oct 26, 2006 11:42 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Dancer is so right!!!  I am here to help you ...  if you need any advise on properties... if you need a quote... and if just want the real deal!..  you can email me anytime.. I would need the following.. and this goes for everyone!

dates?, approx guests?  children?  whre are you coming from?  what is your budget?  that is all we need to get things going for you.

My suggestions:  Jamaica, Mexico, Bahamas, best priced..and then I would go to Dominican Republic as a last option... 

and we canwork out the details for dates...  I just booked a bride with 150 guests for March... you just dont know..that is a professional agents job to get the best deal for you.

Tammy@elitetravelgroup.net

www.HoneymoonGiveaway.com

for daily specials www.elitetravelgroup.net

Look forward to hearing from you and helping in any way I can, from one bride to another!!

Tammy Levent

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine