Are we nuts for doing this?

Online Users: 1,358 guest(s), 2 user(s). Replies: 34
Are we nuts for doing this?
Posted: Oct 3, 2006 10:56 AM

So, perhaps this is nuts, but we found THE DJ we want.  He's super great and his package includes a lot... however it's pricey.  It's going to be $1700 but this is what in includes:

The ceremony sound and music

The cocktail hour, with steel drum band

Reception 4 hours

Giant screen for video montage, plus he does the montage for us.  Also a live camera so our guests can see themselves on screen and everyone can see the person speaking and stuff.

Upgrated lighting system with crystal ball, laser lights, bubble machine and fog.

He's extremely professional, dresses in a tux.  We did the math and this is about $300-400 more than we would pay if we had to get a different DJ plus ceremony and video montage stuff.... I'm not so much looking for a should I do this because we're doing it, but are we nuts???

November 3, 2007 I marry my best friend!

Re: Are we nuts for doing this?
Posted: Oct 3, 2006 11:13 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

That depends.  It sounds to me that you are really paying for a lot of extras - do you want all of that stuff?  It really is a matter of personal taste - we didn't want fog machines and laser lights, and we did want live music, so we went with a band.  I think DJ's this day and age seem to see a wedding as a club venue, and I personally don't see the need for ginormous screens showing a repeating montage, in my eyes it kinda kills some of the classiness of the reception.  However, these are just MY opinions, I know I am among the few having live music, so I don't know what I would do if I had to go with a DJ.  Just think about if you really want all that extra stuff.  My mother went to a wedding where the DJ did all that stuff (the couple also rose "dramatically" out of a hidden elevator in the floor with the fog machine going on, and all she had to say was that they were nuts, so, there's one opinion, lol.  It's you're day, do what you want, even though I am sure you have heard that a million times ;p

Jamie and Bill
Daisypath Ticker

Posted: Oct 3, 2006 12:27 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

It depends on what you want....I didn't want fog, or bubbles, or video screens, or laser lights.....we just wanted a dj to play music and keep things on track (ie...cake cutting, toasts, garder toss, boquet toss...) and I posted on your other post about the dj...but mine was $75 and hour...he did 6 hours for mine....he started right before the ceremony, did my ceremony music, and then the reception. And I only paid $450 and I fed him and his assistant....and like I said before my DJ was AWESOME....he helped us so much....he actually "saved" my reception in a way since the hall did HORRIBLE!!! So, it is up to you...me personally....I wouldn't pay that much, and I didn't want my wedding turned into a "club" scene with laser lights and disco balls....but that was me....this is your wedding, it really depends on what you REALLY want!! I mean if you could care less about lights, and screens and such I would say go with someone cheaper!!

Posted: Oct 3, 2006 3:17 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

We haven't decided if we need everything the package offers, but we do know we want him, and that we need him for about 6 hours.  We may go with a smaller screen, and go with no fog, but i just LOVE the steel drum thing and the lighting system.  Once all the formalities are over, I want it to be just a big party. 

He's so very high energy which I like too.

H4M Posts : 49 Registered: 3/30/06
Posted: Oct 3, 2006 8:02 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

If you  like the guy and feel comfortable with him I say go for it!! After all its better than paying less for a less professional person who might screw it up... also it means that all of your music is covered by one person so its is coordiated and requires fewer vendors so fewer potentail screw ups!! I would negotiate out the things you don't want to see if you can lower the price but if you want a big party then it looks like he's your guy!! Better to have what you want than regret what you didn't get!

Posted: Oct 3, 2006 11:25 PM Go to message in response to: H4M

have you compared prices with other djs in the area? have you interviiewd other dj's? if you have and this dj is the best for you, than go for it-

me personally, it is a little much andi am not into the whole fog, video montage, lazer thing.....but that is me.

Posted: Oct 4, 2006 8:24 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

We have shopped around for a couple of months.  We've met with one DJ and this one we've seen.  We've gotten tons of quotes which are all about $800-$900 for just the 4 hours of service.  It's important to me that it's a professional DJ and not just some guy out of his truck.  His price is about $700 more than we planned to spend on a DJ, but we've saved in other areas so we both think it'll be alright.  We discussed it last night (FH and I) and we're going to get the smaller screen (he has 2), nix the fog but keep the bubbles for the first dance as well as the lights for the dancing.  FH is going to meet with him (I dont' have a car and can't possibly make it out to where the DJ is which is right by FH's job at the cape) but I trust FH 100% so... I'm so excited because after we have this we have almost all the major stuff done!

Posted: Oct 4, 2006 2:23 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

For the record, you are not crazy. As a DJ, i charge $1200 for 4 hours with no lights, fog, bubble, etc. I do this and am regularly told that I am worth more than I charge.

I know people who have spent $15,000 -$20,000 on their wedding. They will pay over $1000 for centerpieces, over $800 for personalized candy bars and $50 a guest for dinner. Then, they turn around and pay $600-$800 for a idiot with a microphone.

Of course, I'm a DJ so I may be expressing a little bias.

Joseph

Posted: Oct 4, 2006 2:45 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

My dj was only $75 per hour and he was NOT and idiot with a microphone....he was AWESOME. Just beacue you are a high priced DJ does NOT mean that there are not other DJ's out there who are JUST as good as you...if not better....at a cheaper rate!!! And your location would also have ALOT to do with what you charge....I mean if you live in Manhattan obviously your DJ (and everything else) will be more expensive than if you live in a small city in idaho!! I have heard of DJ horror stories (high priced and cheap ones....but saying that ALL cheaper DJ's are not good is just pain ole' crazy!)

Message was edited by Gin on Oct 4, 2006 2:46 PM

Posted: Oct 4, 2006 3:24 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Our daughter did not want all the bells & whistles.  She just wanted someone professional who would keep the evening going on time and play good music.  We paid $895 for 4-5 hours and that included a $100 extra for traveling 100 miles out of their area.  It was worth it to us.

asoldiersprince... Posts : 182 Registered: 8/14/06
Posted: Oct 4, 2006 4:37 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

omg it sounds like my dj lol where are you? i want the same thing you want all the lights and we got giveaways. its a time for celebration and fun. they are also going to do soem nice lighting when we dance slow with white lights and a disco ball its going to look awesome!! its your wedding you should get everything you want. thats me and my bfs motto we are like we are only getting married once so we should go all out.

Posted: Oct 4, 2006 7:02 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Gin, It is Boston Market vs the Marriot. I've had GREAT food at Boston Market and my wife and I eat there often, but on special occasions we go to the Camelback Inn and pay $50 per plate. 

I never wrote that all lower priced DJs were not good and I never will. I am confident that there are DJs out there who are better than me and charge less. There are also hacks that charge more than me. At the same time, my post was bout price being an indication of quality. Do you disagree with that?

The $75 an hour DJ or the $400 an hour DJ... Who do you think has better equipment? Who do you think invests in becoming a better DJ? Who do you think keeps their music library up to date? How about liability insurance? How about the amount of time spent specifically on your event? How about guaranteeing requests? How about a satisfaction or you money back guarantee?

I can tell you right now that I spend over 30 hour for each wedding that I service without including time spent meeting with the bride and groom or performing at the actual wedding. The $75/hour DJ might be a better DJ than me in a lot of ways, but there is NO WAY that he can reach my level of service.

Joseph

Posted: Oct 4, 2006 7:25 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I think you should get the DJ you and your FH want. I agree, it should be like a big party.  The TV screen sounds fun and I wanted to do a video/photo slideshow for my wedding too.  If you go with someone cheaper just for a difference in money (which in comparison to your total budget may not even be that much) you may regret it later if you don't have a good time or are thinking about all the stuff this guy would have performed during your reception. The drum band sounds awesome. Plus like that DJ said, he sounds like he has all the equipment you need and will be super prepared. Good Luck and Have Fun!!

Tabbygirl Posts : 342 Registered: 3/28/06
Posted: Oct 4, 2006 7:50 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I agree with the others who say that it really just depends on what you want and envision for your day. It's not that bad of a deal considering that he is doing the montage for you and you are also getting a steel drum band with the package since you have to factor in the costs of paying the members of that band.

For us, we're not really into the club scene and all the extras.  All we wanted was someone to play music and not do too many announcements, etc.  We fortunately knew a DJ who my family have used and trusted for years.  I also went to school and church with his kids, so we went with one of his djs.  He gave a discount since I knew his kids, so we only paid $150 and he did a great job, but again, we didn't have all the bells and whistles, no master of ceremonies - just normal playing of music. 

"Life appears to me too short to be spent in nursing animosity or registering wrongs." - Charlotte Bronte

www.gigmasters.com/classical/AlyssaLehman/

Posted: Oct 5, 2006 10:06 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

""The $75 an hour DJ or the $400 an hour DJ... Who do you think has better equipment? Who do you think invests in becoming a better DJ? Who do you think keeps their music library up to date? How about liability insurance? How about the amount of time spent specifically on your event? How about guaranteeing requests? How about a satisfaction or you money back guarantee?""

My DJ had great equipment...no bells and whistles, however I didn't want that.....I gave him a list of OVER 100 songs that I wanted palyed....and they all were, so his library was up to date, he came to my home NUMEROUS times to go over all the details (big and small) with me.....Every song that I did NOT want played was not played....He had liability Insurance.....and every song I requested were played and at the time I wanted them played, and he ALSO had a money back guarentee.....however I did not need to use it because he was AWESOME!!!!! And his service was as well....he went ABOVE and BEYOND what his job was to do for and at my wedding!!! So you can get AWESOME quality without paying a crazy high priced rate!!! It can be done....and as far as your Boston Market theory.....I have had steak at $50 a plate and still prefer Outback!!! So you don't ALWAYS get what you pay for!! It is like when you go to hig hend restuarants and order a meal for $40-50 a plate and you get a serving the size of a freaking quarter....and then you go to a chian and pay $15 for a plate of food and it is enough to at least fill you up.....so the Boston Market theory does not work for me!!! Thanks though!

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine