Recently engaged and freaking out!!

Online Users: 1,331 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 13
Recently engaged and freaking out!!
Posted: Jun 20, 2006 7:33 AM

I've only been engaged for a few weeks now and I thought it had finally sunk in...the reality of it all I mean.  It was quite a shock.  My fiance and I had talked about marriage for a long time...well, we've only been together a little over a year.  I knew he had bought a ring but had no idea he was planning on asking me so soon!!!  Of course I'm excited...but overwhelmed at the same time!  We don't even have an official date set yet.  I just included one on the profile that might be close to when we've thought about getting married.  I guess I'm just worried because I feel like this should be the happiest time of my life...and it is...but it's also one of the scariest times of my life!!  Anybody else feel this way when they were first engaged?  Does it get better?!

Re: Recently engaged and freaking out!!
Posted: Jun 20, 2006 9:19 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

It is the happiest time.... and one of the scariest.  Not only planning the wedding but just being married.  It is a huge change in your life.  You will get over the scared part once you dive into the planning - at least I did.

Posted: Jun 20, 2006 10:10 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

Of course it's scary.  You are planning a life changing event.  I personally wasn't scared, but I was more then ready for my engagement and marriage. 

It will get better and it will be fun, but stressful.  Right now relax.  Decide on a date (0r a couple) and then look at venues...

Michele and Kyle

Posted: Jun 20, 2006 8:07 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I'm sure you guys are right.  I guess it's just like you say...it's a life changing decision.  Some people have told me that if it's the right decision it should be an easy one.  I don't know if such a huge decision is ever easy!  We've started planning a little...unofficially I guess.  I think part of the problem is also the fact that my sister got married recently and she has had a difficult time adjusting. I think she wasn't really prepared and wishes she would have waited awhile longer.  I guess I'm trying to learn from her mistakes!!

Thanks for the words of encouragement!!

MrsC Posts : 385 Registered: 4/7/06
Posted: Jun 23, 2006 12:40 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

I was always excited... then one day someone said "wife".  Honestly, the world stood still for a minute or two.  Then I smiled and realized, hell yeah, wife!  Til death do us part.  Smile  You'll go through some emotions, but it's just all part of the ride.  Wink

www.ericandjodi.net

Posted: Jun 25, 2006 10:54 PM Go to message in response to: MrsC

Yeah, I'm sure I'll be fine.  We started talking about more details of the ceremony today, even though we've not officially set the date yet.  The more we talk about it though the more excited I get! 

Posted: Aug 22, 2006 1:04 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I totally agree with Sept302006Bride  once you dive into the planning and everything it will be alot less scary. I was the same when I first got engaged I was sooo sooo happy, can't even describe how happy i was, everyone was happy but then I got scared because I'm 20 yrs old...and i was like are 20 year olds suppose to get married! but when we FH and I started talking about what we wanted for our wedding, who we wanted to be in our wedding and of course when i found/bought my wedding dress all the worryness and being scared just left... and now I'm excited and can't wait for 2008 to roll around!!!

LizS Posts : 1,982 Registered: 3/30/06
Posted: Aug 23, 2006 11:58 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

We dated for about 4.5 years before we got engaged, so I was more excited than anything.  I was never scared, but I know many people that are.  We were also living together when it happened, do I think that helped...a lot!  It will get better & it's weird when you start calling someone your fiance...try calling someone your husband!  It's still weird to me that I am someone's wife.

December2007Bride Posts : 169 Registered: 8/23/06
Posted: Aug 24, 2006 5:45 AM Go to message in response to: LizS

For me, it wasn't so much a feeling of fear or anything. I was just shocked. For the first couple of weeks after my engagement (I've been engaged for 3 months now... hehe) all I could say to people was "Wow, I'm getting married!" with this bemused/bewildered look on my face. I was super excited to get engaged. My fiance and I had been together for just over 3 years before he popped the question, and I was totally ready for the commitment. I'm also a fairly young bride at 21, though I will be 23 when we get married. (We're getting married 5 days after my birthday.) Good luck to everyone here embarking on the journey of marriage!

EngagedinBoston Posts : 6 Registered: 8/30/06
Posted: Aug 31, 2006 12:18 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

me too! I just got engaged on August 18. I knew it was coming, we'd talked about, but yet it was (and still is!) a total shock when it really happened. I still cannot believe it's really real!!! We've only been together for a year and a half, but I've known for almost as long that he was the One for me (he said he knew when he saw me - wow). I'm not one of those girls that has ever thought about it before, so it's all new and overwhelming and exciting and scary.

Posted: Sep 6, 2006 8:35 AM Go to message in response to: EngagedinBoston

My boyfriend proposed on Sunday, I've been wearing the ring for two days now, we've been together for three years- I'm deliriously happy of course but also so scared i want to throw up- and who do I talk with about it without them thinking that I feel I'm making a mistake- because it's definately not THAT- it's just that this is a VERY big deal!

Posted: Sep 6, 2006 8:46 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

I know what you mean... about them thinking that you are making a mistake... When I first got engaged (since June) I was so happy, unbelievably happy but a part of me was scared/nervous and I guess one of my friends picked up on me being scared/nervous and she was like you don't have to go through with this if you don't think it's the right thing, blah, blah!! Which wasn't at all how I felt... I was just still in shock from the proposal and this is a very big deal!!!

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;10716;93/st/20080920/e/my+wedding%21/k/c3fe/event.png

darkchild24 Posts : 196 Registered: 9/1/06
Posted: Sep 17, 2006 6:13 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

i became engaged on July 31st, and it just hit me the other day when i bought a wedding magazine and got home in my room that, wow....i'm engaged...felt like i had hit a brickwall it shocked me! lol but now that i've started to look at dresses and ceremony options and all of that, i've calmed down a little bit. i still have those moments where i just stop and think..wow it's really happening.

Posted: Oct 6, 2006 2:57 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I am also recently engaged myself and yes its ok to be  scared, I am too. It is quite a life changing experience. All the planning and telling the parents, budgeting. It can definietly be overwhelming. But I'm just so excited for that day, your day, the happiest day of your life! (so they say) Once its all over and you can start on your family. Its different for everyone. You talk to your fiance about your feelings because he could be overwhelmed too. Its your guys day, plan it together, express the feelings and all that good stuff. It helps. Plus pre-marital counsleing helps too. My fiance and I are doing that and it helps for your guys future. Talk to friends and family who have been thru this before helps too.
WinkAFbride!

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine