WOW, a wedding under $5000.00!?!?!

Online Users: 1,269 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 26
WOW, a wedding under $5000.00!?!?!
Posted: Sep 1, 2006 11:34 AM

Ok, I know there is a thread about people having their weddings under $5000, but I am in shock! I live in Oklahoma....one of the poorest states in the country. And my FH and I are having a hard time keeping under $13,000. Am I just doing something really wrong? I have checked every place in town to find the most reasonable vendors. I am having my food done at cost by a family friend. We are even getting married at 11:30 in the morning. I guess I am just asking for some tips because I have got to be going about this all the wrong way. Any advice?

Re: WOW, a wedding under $5000.00!?!?!
Posted: Sep 1, 2006 12:22 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

try Craig's List for a photographer or videographer

Supply your own alcohol

buy a bridesmaid's dress instead of a wedding gown

E-bay for everything!

DIY favors, invites, flowers

All of the above are things that I am doing for my wedding.  It can be done (and I'm in Philadelphia)!

Posted: Sep 1, 2006 1:39 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

My wedding will almost definitly be under 5000:

First thing is how many people are you trying to invite ours will be 60 at the absolute most. We live in an area where you don't get much for choices as its definitly not a city but things are cheap. Becuase its december (christmas party time) we can't have a wedding on saturday in the place I want unless there are 100 people so its going to be on sunday which means it needs to be earlier so everyone isnt out late when many have to be to work at 6 a.m. So that cut down our meal... which is two chef attended carving stations of roast beef and ham, baked hadock, baked ziti, a starch, and veggie. Plus the hor dorves and champane toast all under 20 a person.

Next we live in a place where not having an open bar is perfectly acceptable, everyone will probably be expecting a cash bar as its what is most common here, we plan on offering soda, coffee, tea and hot chocolate free though only alchol will cost guests anything.

Our site doesn't charge for the room or a cake cutting fee, we are having my sister make the cake as she is VERY good with them and we want something really small and non-layered as we are also doing a sundae bar. (we love ice cream)

I am getting all my flowers  for $150 and just buying the other stuff to make my bouquets and stuff (all is pretty chea) and just making me own... I'm also making my own invitations. 

Kim

Posted: Sep 1, 2006 3:47 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I kinda know where your coming from, I thought my wedding was going to be about $5000 but by the time everything starts adding up we are going to closer to $10,000 mostly my parents but some us and some FH's parents.  Nothing is extravagant, but we're not doing it ourselfs. It just adds up

Posted: Sep 2, 2006 10:51 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

You have to really cut corners to come in under $5000 and DIY a lot of things.  Reception tents are probably out.  Limo's are out. Open bar is out. Time of day for the wedding isn't nearly as important as which day.  Monday - Thursday might save you money.  Even then, you'd be wise to negotiate for the discount, or they may feel free to charge you the same rate as for Saturday.  Unless you express that you're on a very tight budget and looking for ways to save, they may assume you don't mind the price whatever it is. 

Posted: Sep 2, 2006 11:21 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

I also cannot imagine being able to pull this off! I would love to be able to, but mine is ending up costing somewhere in the neighborhood of around $30,000!!! I have to say though, that I think it would have actually been more stressful to try to make it within a certain budget. I mean I cut corners as much as I could, but there were certain things that I couldn't imagine not being able to have! It must have a lot to do with having a smaller wedding, I know that my costs went up dramatically when I added about 200 more people...my guest list is officially at 384.

I think that anyone who is able to have a wedding for under $5000 should write a book on it!!!

Posted: Sep 2, 2006 8:21 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

There's a book with that title, and another good book called Bridal Bargains.  Some very helpful websites are http://www.frugalbride.com and http://www.usabride.com

Ours was under $10,000...closer to $9000.

Posted: Sep 2, 2006 8:22 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

http://www.fireyourweddingplanner is very helpful, too

66nova Posts : 346 Registered: 3/28/06
Posted: Sep 2, 2006 8:54 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I have a book called 1001 Ways to Save Money... and Still Have a Dazzling Wedding by Sharon Naylor (ISBN 0-658-02109-5), and it has been a Godsend.  We're spending $10,000 for a church wedding and 400-guest reception on a Saturday evening, which includes the church, reception venue, modified cash bar (free water, sodas, tea, and one alcoholic drink for everyone), flowers, catering (which includes sit-down service for wedding party, cake cutting, and toast-pouring), cakes, choc fountain, ice cream, favors, photography, videography, DJ, linens, decorations, professional invitations and postage, all accessories (cake serving set, toasting glasses, etc), and both mine and FH's outfits, and gifts for the wedding party. 

I'm using my own classic car for transportation, and the band I'm in is donating their time to play during the dinner, and I'm just renting their truck and getting them food (this is cool cuz we're expensive. I couldn't hire us. LOL).  Don't be afraid to ask vendors for discounts (some will give just for paying cash) or ask for other options that may not be on packages they advertise.  Also, sign up to be on the email lists for bridal sites, and bridal catalogs.  I've never ordered anything for full price through bridal catalogs, such as "now-and-forever" because I wait until I get something like a 20% off coupon, or free shipping offer.  "Oriental Trading Company" is another great discount catalog.  Also, I don't know if you have Michael's crafts stores over there, but over here, every week the newspaper has a 50% off one item coupon, so every week, I've gotten a pack of programs, a cake topper, or whatever else I need, at half price. 

Support bacteria... they're the only culture some people have.

www.theknot.com/ourwedding/JanetSaenz&BenjaminMcDaniel

Message was edited by 66nova on Sep 2, 2006 8:54 PM

66nova Posts : 346 Registered: 3/28/06
Posted: Sep 2, 2006 9:33 PM Go to message in response to: 66nova

Forgot this too:

For save-the-date cards, we got printable index cards from Wal-Mart and made a gorgeous design on the computer, and printed them from home.  Sent them as postcards.  Same thing for place cards.  We got inexpensive place card holders, and got packs of printable business cards to make the place cards.  Also got the vases for our DIY centerpieces for $0.99 each at WalMart.  Well, that's all I could think of... if I remember more tips, I'll let you know!

Support bacteria... they're the only culture some people have.

www.theknot.com/ourwedding/JanetSaenz&BenjaminMcDaniel

Posted: Sep 3, 2006 10:53 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

Hehe, yeah, when we first started planning, my fiance had the idea that we could pull off our wedding easily with a $5000 budget, and I just smiled and nodded like, "Yeah, sure. That's going to happen!!"  And I've watched his eyes bug out as reality hits and he watches the expences roll in.  The catering alone is going to be just under $5000, and tihs is one of the more inexpensive caterers in the area.

I think it's going to be about $12000, not including the honeymoon. 

Kimberly

Our Website
"I loved you before I met you and I met you just in time 'cause there was nothing left."   -Don't Change Your Plans, Ben Folds Five

Posted: Sep 3, 2006 10:58 AM Go to message in response to: 66nova

We will most definately be under 5k, and the guest list is even over 200.

The hall is $300, but I have to do my own decorating.

I have friends of the family doing the catering, and all I have to pay for is food.

No limos.

The church is $225 with pastor fee.
Friend of the in laws is playing the organ for free.

FH's father is the soloist.

Flowers are being done by Kroger. The floralist has a degree in floral design and used to do nothing but weddings at her old job. She said she could do the flowers for a good price, so I took her up on it.

The cake is $1.25 a slice, but we're only getting enough for around 75 people, and then buying sheet cakes from the baker to serve. No one will know.

My invitations will cost about $1 or less per person, and they look like $3-4 compared to prices on the internet.

My mom works with a gal who DJs on the weekend, and she offered to DJ for half price.

Sooo I guess I don't see how hard it is to keep it under $5k.

And where do people get the money to spend 30k on weddings anyway?

Message was edited by SweetxGrace on Sep 3, 2006 10:59 AM

Posted: Sep 3, 2006 3:21 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I totally agree with you about the $30K weddings.  We could never do anything like that.  We are having a DW and spending about $6 for just us...... that includes about $3500 for a grand luxe beachfront room for 7 nights $1800 for pics and $100 for manicures for 4 and then some extra for emergency situations.  We are also going to do guest bags, but that won't be that much.!!  Not too bad.

Posted: Sep 3, 2006 4:21 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Sooo I guess I don't see how hard it is to keep it under $5k. And where do people get the money to spend 30k on weddings anyway?

Um, probably from our salaries.  I may live in a high priced areas (wish we could get $5 per person filet mignon like some here, but alas), but we also have high salaries.  People coming out of college that work here make at least $60k a year, each - even teachers don't do too badly.

The comment just irked me.  There's a lot of us who don't see how it's possible to do a wedding for 15k, let alone 5k... but it all depends on the area.  My photographer alone is over 5k, and I consider it money well spent.

Jamie and Bill
Daisypath Ticker

Posted: Sep 3, 2006 11:20 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Sorry if it irked you.  My apologies.

I guess not everyone does filet mignon for dinner. 

Again, my sincerest apologies.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine