Should he ask dad's permission?

Online Users: 1,320 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 4
Should he ask dad's permission?
Posted: Aug 21, 2006 10:41 PM

My dad is very old fashioned and know he would appreciate it, but I don't know if the situtation would actually work out... FH is deployed right now and we will be getting engaged in December when he is home for his 2 week R&R. He has met my folks once (last year). My folks live out of state. Is it appropriate for him to just call? We will be visiting his mother (also out of state) while he is home during that time. It just seems kind of random for him to just call up my dad and ask... I doubt he has even thought about that part, especially since we have already made the decision and such. I know my folks arent expecting it either, so I don't know what the reaction would be...

LizS Posts : 1,982 Registered: 3/30/06
Re: Should he ask dad's permission?
Posted: Aug 23, 2006 11:53 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

Why are you waiting to get engaged if you already know when it is going to happen?  I would say "honey, we're engaged & give me the ring in December when you get here".  LOL!Laughing

My husband asked my dad, but it is not necessary & I don't think he was expecting it.  I think he maily asked because he wanted to know where we should go to pick out a ring!  LOL!  Anyways, if he does not really know them it might make it that more strange & awkward!

Congrats on the future engagement & let us know how it all turns  out!

Posted: Aug 24, 2006 12:47 PM Go to message in response to: LizS

Oh, we already assume we are engaged, just going to make it "official" in December with the ring and all. And we aren't announcing it until then....

And that's what I'm afraid of, that it is going to be really awkward because they have only met once....

Posted: Aug 24, 2006 1:19 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Me and my fiance have been engaged almost a year now(i think, im horrible with time) and i just met his parents a month ago, and we had never even spoken to each other(meaning the FIL). So him just meeting them once isnt that bad considering you dont live near your family. now if you live down the block yeah that be a different situation. The asking for your hand in marriage subject, do you think your parents would be offended if he didnt ask? yeah i know the whole asking the father is traditional but now its almost as the engagement is always premeditated and agreed upon by the bride and groom..

EngagedinBoston Posts : 6 Registered: 8/30/06
Posted: Aug 31, 2006 12:14 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I think it's very romantic and old-fashioned to ask the father's permission, so I say yes!

My fiance asked my uncle's permission since I don't have a relationship with my father and I love that it was done so properly and sweetly. Smile

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine