Overweight but Inspired.......pls Join me!!!

Online Users: 1,344 guest(s), 2 user(s). Replies: 8,933
Re: Overweight but Inspired.......pls Join me!!!
Posted: Aug 17, 2006 6:38 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Okay ladies, I said I would be back with an action plan, and here I am. 

Here is what I am already doing to get healthy:

1) Cooking at home!  We have been in a fast food rut for the past 6 months or so.  Lately, it has been making us both feel really gross, so we are trying to cook at home 5 nights a week, at least.  It is hard, but I know it is easy and cheaper in the long run, not to mention healthier. I just subscribed to Martha Stewart's FOOD magazine. I can't wait to start getting it it.  She always has the best recipes!

2)  NO SODA!  I don't really like soda,but  I work in a restaurant and I drink it because it is readily availably.   I have been off the soda, and drinking water or unsweetened ice tea for about 10 days.

3)  NO SWEETS (or salties, for that matter) IN THE HOUSE!  I am a habitual snacker and sugar addict.  It is just better that I don't keep it around.  This is working out pretty well.  Also, I have been keeping fruit on hand.  That helps satisfy my craving so I don't go nutz-o.

4)  I just started a new job that is very physically demanding for me right now.  I am using that as my exercise right now.  Eventually, I will get use to it so I need to find something to supplement.  My friend and I have been talking about taking her kids and really playing with them at the park (tag, tether ball, chase, frisbee...whatever)

So, Here are a few of my goals for the new future:

1) QUIT SMOKING!!!  I know, it is so gross.  I have been wanting to quit for a while, but with the stress of wedding planning, I was afraid if I tried to quit I would start eating instead and gain wait.  Now, I have no excuses.  It is starting to really effect how I feel, so I know it is time. 

2) Quit drinking so much beer!  Ahhh, I love beer and I live in the land of Micro brews, so this is really hard for me.  I usually have about 5 beers per week, sometimes more in the summer.  This is not good, because beer is full of carbs.  Good thing summer will be winding down soon.

I will be checking in about my progression periodically.

This thread is growing fast!  I am excited.  I have been checking in to read everyone's stories.  Keep up the good work ladies! This is great, I am so excited!

Also, here are a couple of sites that I found helpful for all kinds of life advice. Gotta love Dr. Phil & Oprah

http://www.drphil.com/articles/category/7/
http://www2.oprah.com/health/health_landing.jhtml

kelleyiskelley Posts : 11,590 Registered: 7/2/06
Posted: Aug 17, 2006 9:39 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

This is all great stuff Summer. Thanks for sharing your plan of action! lol. The smoking will be tough Im sure...but YOU MUST QUIT. We have been tryin for years to get my dad to stop, and now hes getting to the age where its starting to scare me. If you can stop now, itll be so much easier than trying to stop when youre 40,50,60 yrs old. This sounds like a lot of goals.... go slowly and dont do too much all at once.... you can do it!! Read the dessert recipe I put on my last post, its amazingly delicious.

Ill check out the sites......i love Oprah lol

Kelley Lynn:)

Posted: Aug 18, 2006 11:08 AM Go to message in response to: kelleyiskelley

Well, I'm back on the boards.  I have experienced a slight speed bump in my weight loss journey as my FH and I closed on our first home the last day of July and began moving shortly thereafter.  As a result of the move, I stopped watching everything I was eating and stopped working out.  Fortunately, I have not gained too much weight, maybe only a pound or so.  I will, however, be going back to Weight Watchers tomorrow ready to forget the past three weeks and start fresh.  I am getting married in only 57 days, so I need to get my butt in gear!  I just purchased another home workout program (Turbo Jam), which I will incorporate into my other workouts (The Firm, Tae-bo, Windsor Pilates, and, of course, the gym)...wow, I sound like one of these people who buys everything from those infomercials! :) 

I plan (and hope) to lose at least 20 more pounds before the wedding, if not more.  I'm in countdown mode, so it seems easier to be more strict on a diet...

I'll keep you posted!

jessd0320 Posts : 1,491 Registered: 7/4/06
Posted: Aug 19, 2006 12:32 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

Okay, my turn! But where do I begin? I have always been large. When I graduated from college and moved to a place where I didn't know anyone, I got a rec pass through work and started working out as something to do. I lost 50 pounds in a year. I started around 230 pounds, and my lowest was 184. I didn't start with the intent to lose weight, but rather to feel better about myself and be healthy.

Well, around the time I started dating FH, I started gaining all my weight back. We used to work together and were always so busy and ate fast food a lot and didn't have time to exercise. Of course we also had the dates where you eat too much, lazy days where you do nothing but eat... It was slow, about a year in the making.

I just moved and I am again in a place where I know no one (except FH) and don't have much to do. I joined the YMCA and I have been exercising at least four times a week for about nine weeks now. I don't really see results, but I do FEEL better.

FH keeps telling me I look like I've lost weight, but I don't know if he's just trying to be nice. We've had such a role reversal because he is a big guy too, and so self conscious. Before and even while I gained all my weight back I had to keep telling him he looked good and I loved him the way he was. Now he's the one telling me that.

Wedding is over a year away. I figure I won't even think about looking at dresses until the first of the year, giving me plenty of time to lose weight. And again, I'm trying to go about it for health instead of weight. Weight will come off with the better health. My mom just got diagnosed with diabetes and she has arthritis (she's bigger than me) and heart probems run in our family too. Its hard not to think about all of this.

Posted: Aug 19, 2006 12:40 AM Go to message in response to: jessd0320

The major problem I'm dealing with now is making myself eat at home instead of going out all the time. I'm trying to limit myself to once a week. But this week I did twice, and next week I will a bunch because I'm going out of town. I know if I can just get my eating in check, I will make a break through! Also, sometimes even when I eat at home I eat too much... trying to get better portion control but now quite there yet.

Posted: Aug 20, 2006 2:08 AM Go to message in response to: jessd0320

Hi Ladies

Just thought I'd add my .02. I lost 30lbs with Weight Watchers last year and so far have done a great job of keeping it off. I love to eat out and thought that I would fail miserably at WW. That wasn't the case. I just had to plan in advance. I still eat out at least twice a week. I plan my meals according to this site www.dwlz.com-WWinfoTOC.html. This site has a list of restaurants and the points for the entrees. Hope this is helpful to you. Good Luck.

storm0075 Posts : 416 Registered: 7/9/06
Posted: Aug 20, 2006 12:13 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Well my first week back at WW I lost 4.2. Now I just need to continue losing. This a great post for support and I want to thank everyone who has contributed.

Posted: Aug 20, 2006 1:31 PM Go to message in response to: storm0075

hey all.... more updates.... I weighed myself at the Gym this morning and lost another 6 pounds (over the past 2 weeks or so.) Im starting to see the results a bit, which makes it easier to get off my ass and GO to the gym nightly.... but it still seems to be happening in slooooow motion....

Storm, congrats on the 4.5lbs, thats a lot for one week:) everyone else who just joined us, hello and welcome...

OK maybe someone can help me with a specific workout issue. As I said in my first post, I am pretty overweight right now...and have just started seroiusly losing over the past couple of months. Wedding is in 2 months!!! (aaaahhh!!) Anyway... one area I cant seem to get rid of is my huge stomach/belly. I guess this is due to the fact that when you gain a LOT of weight over time, like 100 pounds, which I did.... its really tough to get rid of all the fat around your middle. At the gym, I have been doing 30 min on treadmill, then I do the weight machines for legs/arms etc..and then I end with 50-70 situps on the abroller thingy...depending on how much I can take before I feel like dying! lol. So while Im seeing my body changing and clothes are fitting better etc... I still have huge rolls of fat that I cant seem to get rid of! I know thats gross to picture, sorry.... but no other way to describe it lol.

Any ideas on what else I should be doing to get rid of this other than the situps? Situps worked wonders for me a few years ago when I lost a bunch of weight (then gained it back lol)..but this time they seem to be taking much longer ...maybe im just extremly impatient.

Thanks!

Posted: Aug 20, 2006 10:54 PM Go to message in response to: kelleyiskelley

The belly is tricky. When I lost 50 pounds the first time around, but belly never really went away although it was smaller and more toned. The key is strengthening the core. I used to do that by going to aerobics classes... cardio kickboxing mostly. In addition to the aerobics toning the core, most classes at that gym also had an abs portion too. I was really upset when I realized I was losing the muscle I had built up in that area. I haven't gotten myself to any classes at my new gym, but the fall sessions are starting this week or next so I will start then too. Also, I think the aerobics classes were key to weight loss too the first time around. I think I have lost a little weight (but I'm making myself wait three weeks to find out), but I'm sure once I start one at least once a week will make a big difference.

Posted: Aug 23, 2006 4:53 PM Go to message in response to: jessd0320

Well, I weighed in at Weight Watchers on Saturday (I posted on August 18th saying I had not been in several weeks and had not exercised or watched what I ate).  Well, since my last weigh in I still lost 1/2 pound.  How does that happen?  I mean, I had been eating like crazy.  It's amazing how the body works!

I'm back to being more careful and will be working out today.

In terms of the stomach area, you need consistent cardio to continue slimming this area.  Sometimes it's the last to go, but it will go.  When you lose a significant amount of weight, often there will probably always be a little extra flesh in that area forever (unless you reach a really low bodyfat) and ultimately, some loose skin.  At the end of the day, it's really about what makes you feel better.  For me, I'm willing to live with a smaller gut and a bit of loose skin, then staying in my size 18W pants.

Everyone sounds like they're doing really well.  Keep it up!

RMB0414 Posts : 1,386 Registered: 8/2/06
Posted: Aug 23, 2006 8:18 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Congrats on losing when you were eating ... that's always' the best thing to see!!!!!  I really need to start going to WW - I just can never make it to the meetings because I work too late and I never feel like it on the weekends.  Am I just making excuses??

[url=http://daisyPath.com]imghttp://daisyPath.com/days/070414/3/1/-5/0/.png[/img][/url]

Posted: Aug 23, 2006 8:25 PM Go to message in response to: RMB0414

Today, I decided that FH isn't just being nice... I really am losing weight. The pants I am wearing were tight when I bought them... for whatever reason they still fit me through my weight gain... but today they are feeling more loose than when I bought them! But I'm waiting at least another two weeks before I weigh myself to really find out... mostly because I'm going out of town this weekend and I know I'll eat like a pig.

Posted: Aug 23, 2006 10:10 PM Go to message in response to: jessd0320

Thanks Gerbies and Jess for the info about getting rid of "fat" in the middle. I just got back from the Gym tonight... Im feeling good... I would really like to take more of their aerobics classes and such but none of the times work with my schedule. I have to do the Gym after 7 or 8pm and most of their classes are mornings and afternoons. Stupid. It just seems to be taking FOREVER to lose the middle ...stomach... but I think its because when you weigh this much, its not as easy to notice what youre losing right away. I have a loong way to go... but I am definately getting there. You all sound like you are too.... we should all find a pic of ourselves (if youre willing) currently and post it on here. Then post our wedding pics and see how far we have come....

storm0075 Posts : 416 Registered: 7/9/06
Posted: Aug 24, 2006 7:19 AM Go to message in response to: kelleyiskelley

Everyone is doing fantastic! The hardest part about losing weight and trying to be healthier is that it isn't instantaneous. But then we didn't get where we are overnight either. Kelley I am having the same problem as you with my middle section, but unlike you  Istill haven't found the willpower to go back to the gym. lol I like the idea of posting before and after pics. My only problem with that is if the weight isn't lost it can be very depressing. I put a clooage together once and had it as my desktop background showing me before and after, all it did was make me depressed looking at how I look now.  And this was only a two year difference. BUT having other people in the same boat might make all the difference. Anyway, Congrats to everyone for doing so well and let's keep this thread going!!! :)

Posted: Aug 24, 2006 8:43 AM Go to message in response to: storm0075

yeah storm i know how those pics of yourself can further depress you... I have actually ripped myself out of pictures that I think I look TOO fat in lol. So... only post a pic of yourself if youre really comfortable with the idea and you think itll help you.

Yeah, I have been really good about going to the Gym. I think because Im paying for it monthly and I cant afford it lol, and cant justify paying for no reason ... so I make sure to try and go 4--5 nights per week. Its really hard getting myself out the door after working a full day and being tired... but once Im there its good, and I feel good afterwards. Maybe you can exercise at home or do an aerobics tape, or play a sport. It doesnt have to be the Gym... normally I hate Gyms cuz i always feel so intimidated with all the muscle-heads and perfect bodies in there .. but I really like this gym cuz there are actual normal people there who look like they need to lose weight too instead of walking around looking like models! lol. So that helps a bit.

Keep posting your progress ...or your Annoyances, or whatever is on your mind !!:)

And also any good recipes anyone has that are healthy....

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine