Calling all 2007 summer brides

Online Users: 1,265 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 22

Colleen Posts : 71 Registered: 8/11/06
Re: Calling all 2007 summer brides
Posted: Aug 13, 2006 12:14 PM Go to message in response to: angelbride

I'd say your doing OK given the venue is selected - I go for the officiant next as they could be difficult to come by.  Most preist are prohibited from performing marriage ceremonies off sacrid groud i.e. church.  But you can get another denominational -inter or non, and have a priest in site to bless the marriage.  What about a theme, Mother Nature, Daisies, Sunflowers?

The battle of the sexes will never be decided as there is too much time spent in the enemy's camp.

angelbride Posts : 19 Registered: 6/13/06
Posted: Aug 13, 2006 4:45 PM Go to message in response to: Colleen

Good advice, thank you.  We actually decided on dark blue decor with yellow roses, and they are significant to our relationship.  The only problem that we face with the officiant is that the catholic church that my fh belongs to is extremely strict and refuses to recognize his marriage unless the ceremony is performed by a catholic priest.  His uncle had the same difficulties and found a priest from a town about an hour away who was willing to marry them outside the church.  They were actually married on their front porch.  I think that once we can both get away from work and school for a bit we are going to see about meeting with that priest.  But I definitely think you are right about that being the next step.  Thanks again!

angelbride

Posted: Aug 13, 2006 4:56 PM Go to message in response to: angelbride

That is so sad...  these guys really need to lighten up! ;-)  I'll bet you have pretty good luck finding one now..  the retired ones aren't bound by the same rules..  Where are you located?  I'l whisper to a friend here in MN and see if he has any connections.

The battle of the sexes will never be decided as there is too much time spent in the enemy's camp.

Posted: Aug 13, 2006 7:37 PM Go to message in response to: Colleen

I'm in Kansas.  And I hope you're right about them being more lenient.  The biggest problem we've faced is the religious differences.  My fh and his family are very catholic and myself and my family are very not.  My father has refused to attend a wedding in a catholic church, and I also am not comfortable with that scenario.  Likewise, fh and his family would not be comfortable in my church, so we have agreed to be married at his grandmother's farm, which both families are supportive of.  However, it is very important to my fh, and thus to me, that his church recognize his marriage.  I think the officiant is only the first of many hurdles, the biggest of which I believe will be our decision on how to raise our children.  Fh and I agree that they will be raised in church, we will each have our own church that we attend together (catholic on saturday night and protestant on sunday morning), but we believe our children should have the right to decide what religion they wish to follow.  I know that the catholic church frowns on that, so I am just trying to mentally prepare myself for that "argument" if you will.  Maybe that's why I'm putting this officiant business off...  Well, I'm rambling, sorry.  Let me know if you have any suggestions.  Thank you!

angelbride

Posted: Aug 13, 2006 7:55 PM Go to message in response to: angelbride

I think you are going into this with a very clear head - and the dual church thing is a good idea but it can become overwhelming in the the end; I would think especially over the holidays.  Because I run into this here also so I keep a list of "those that will" as a courtasy for brides.  I can ask if any one knows of anyone in your area.  Your wedding date is in such a time though that those that will may be very busy.   I once did what I call the smuggle job, we got the bride and groom to a private wedding, only the four of us and the priest, we told no one, then did the wedding for our guests using a largely catholic script with communion, and a priest's blessing.  The marriage was solimized by the church and the couple got the wedding they wanted.

Posted: Aug 13, 2006 10:26 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

We looked at four diffrent places before we found the perfect one. I felt like it was never going to happen and the whole wedding wasn't going to come together but it is slowly. I am not in school but I do work 55 hour wks. so far we have the receptin hall, ceremony site, florist, baker and the photogapher. I thought that I was the only person planning ahead. It is good to know that others are too.Smile 

Posted: Aug 14, 2006 12:22 AM Go to message in response to: Colleen

We've considered that, and while I am the main one against that type of arrangement, as it would be in the catholic church, it is a last resort.  I agree with you that it's not going to be easy, and fh and I have discussed that, also.  Believe me, it's not the easiest conversation to have!  But we both agree that religion is of utmost importance, and we share basically the same foundation of beliefs, so we'll pull through it with a little compromise and communication!  Thanks again for your help, it is always reassuring to hear from others that we're not the only ones facing this kind of challenge!

angelbride

Posted: Aug 14, 2006 10:27 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

My wedding date is set for August4. And so far we have the reception hall and church sites, photographer, DJ, my dresses and MOH dress, menu, the decorator for the reception, the caterer for the super book.  Bubble for our guests to blow when we leave the church. We have chosen or toasting flutes but we don’t have it, we have decided a cake.  We have are invitation and RSP print out, because I did it.  We are working on the ceremony program and the book mark for the guest when they come in at the reception.  I’m going to see the florist next week.  I have the pillow for the ring bearer.  I’m going to both my guest book next week.  I have my 2 garter, the top cake.  We are finalizing the guest list.  We already book a block of rooms for are guest at the motel.

In October I have to go see my decorator to finalise my decorations.  I have to go see our caterer to choose for the menu for the super.  I have to go see the cake ladies to order the cake.  We have to take are wedding course.

This is it for know

Marrying my bestfriend on Auguest 4, 2007.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine