How did he propose?

Online Users: 1,271 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 32
Re: How did he propose?
Posted: Aug 2, 2006 8:26 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

The first time he proposed he asked me if I wanted to go to Paris and get married. Now, its was only a few months i met him so i knew it wasnt that serious of a question but I was very flattered. Then on my birthday he asked if i wanted to go to Vegas.lol again.. Then things got serious between us, for real but then he decided Metro Detroit had nothing to offer him so he moved up north. We decided to stay together and do the long distanct thing. I was in college and a new job but going up north every weekend was sooo cooool. We eventually got sick of saying goodbye and started talking about me moving up. But first he had to ask my dad so we invited him up. At the time he was living in his parents cottage on the lake. So the 3 of us went kayaking. Then them two went off by themselves and had a talk while i stayed on the beach. Mind you I was 25, a life of my own, but he wanted to be proper. I still dont know to this day what they talked about. After that he kept asking if i wanted to marry him, id say yes, hed say, just checking...lol

Fast forward a year. Im living there and we both fell asleep watching tv. He gets up and goes to bed. Im still on the couch but im awakened by him shouting for me, so i go into the bedroom and he says get in (nicely of course). So i did, we kissed goodnight and he said "Babs? Will you marry me?" Yes!.. as i was drifting back to sleep thinking it was him Just checking again. "No Really babes, marry me." I rolled over, and was like are you seriously asking me to marry you right now?" he was like yes of course, I cant wait a minute longer to try to figure how to propose. I was so surprised. Then he got all worried and apologising saying he was sorry, oops, should he have done it differently, he didnt have a ring etc etc...so i grabbed my hoop earings of the dresser. He got on his kness, we both did, on the bed in our pjs, my hair all messy and in the dark he proposed.

The next day, we were both on cloud nine. and I went into work, could hardly work i was so happy. He kept calling asking when i was getting off, could i come home early before he went in?? When I got home, his truck was there, since he should have gone into his shift. When i walked in the house, he grabbed my purse threw it on the couch, grabbed my hand and took me outside onto the dock. OCtober 16, the east wind blowing on the his back and he proposed and pulled out of his pocket a ring. To my total surprise it was a claddaugh. (i couldnt believe he paid attention to me saying it had special meaning) I said yes yes yes yes yes!!! and we kissed and kissed.

He called into work and took me out to dinner and for drinks.

Fast forward another year or so and the first time he saw his newborn daughter, he got on his knees and asked me to marry him again.  Please marry me he said.

I will never forget that. NOw we will be married in 17 days!!!

KissChristine and Christopher and Natalie                   August 19,2006Cool

Posted: Aug 8, 2006 10:23 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

All of these are so sweet. Keep 'em coming.

Soon 2Be Mrs. Patton

kelleyiskelley Posts : 11,590 Registered: 7/2/06
Posted: Aug 13, 2006 12:49 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

FIRST ...let me say that all these stories are freakin awesome. I especialy love the Build a Bear and the Ferris Wheel!!!

OKAY... the Sunday before Christmas 2005... my fiance and me live in NJ, about 10 min outside of NYC. He is from Florida and moved here to be with me, so at this point he had never seen NYC at Christmas time. We decided to spend the day and night just walking around, seeing everything all lit up, etc. I am a Christmas FREAK, Im obsessed with it, I love it, my fav day of the year. So we went to Tavern on the Green, did a carriage ride... very romantic, there was a bit of snow on teh ground,etc. Then over to Rockefeller Center. Thousands of people there, lots of tourists. He took my hand and we pushed through the crowd until we were at the front of the tree, right underneath it. It was just getting nighttime, so the lights were gorgeous. The tree looks amazing up close, its just surreal. I wasnt at all suspicious until he suddenly got all fidgety and weird.. he kept putting his hands in his pockets and saying "so Merry Christmas, I love you" like 5x. I said "ok I love you too." He was really nervous, and did I mention it was like 25 degrees outside?? So in the freezing cold in front of all these strangers, he gets down on his knee. I freak out... I cant believe this is happening. I think i said outloud "youre doing this NOW?" Some guy yelled out "Hey! this guy is proposing!!" and random people started taking our picture and clapping. I couldnt even hear what he was saying during the proposal because so many people were yelling and cheering. He was making a speech and putting the ring on my hand...I remember i had to take my gloves off first lol... and all I could hear was "waah waah waah wahh" like the teachers from Charlie Brown cartoons. I did hear him say "So will you spend your life with me?" and I said YES and we both cried for a loong time, hugging and crying and laughing. It was really amazing to be in NYC amongst all these total strangers, and to be proposed to under this beautiful Christmas tree. i just couldnt stop crying because it was the PERFECT moment. And he is NEVER romantic, so I really really didnt expect it........ the best part for me is that every year we can go back to that same spot one week before Christmas and celebrate it all over again. :):)

2 months til the wedding!!!

Kelley Lynn:)

66nova Posts : 346 Registered: 3/28/06
Posted: Aug 13, 2006 1:59 AM Go to message in response to: kelleyiskelley

My gosh, these are such wonderful stories.  I'm actually tearing up and getting all squishy :)  Ben proposed to me on April 10th, 2005.  We had talked about getting engaged for a while, and I knew it was coming soon, but it still surprised me.  Here's the story, straight from our website:

Ben had gone to San Antonio to visit Janet for the weekend. It was Sunday and about that time for Ben to pack up to leave for Beaumont. Like the end of every visit, they didn’t want to part. For some reason, Janet was taking it a little harder than usual, and was very upset and depressed. Ben shared in her emotions, and did not want to leave as well. As Janet lay there sobbing, Ben packed his motorcycle. At that moment, he realized that he couldn't wait any longer and he called her parents to ask permission for her hand in marriage. He came back in the house and snuggled in bed with Janet. Holding her close, he asked her to marry him… and she just said, “Okay.” He asked again, and she said, “okay” again! The third time, Ben held Janet’s face, looked into her eyes, and asked again, “Will you marry me? Will you be my wife?” Then she understood, and was telling him “Yes!” over and over. Ben suddenly stood up, and told Janet, “Get your purse and let’s go.” Janet was confused, for she thought he was telling her to get in the car because they were getting married now! They drove to the jeweler, where Janet chose her ring. He slipped it onto her finger, and they ran away to the Lourdes Grotto to have some time alone. Meanwhile, Janet’s parents were waiting to hear the news. After hearing nothing, they began calling their cell phones, which they had left at the house. They came home to find Janet and Ben gone, and panicked because they thought they were off getting married right then! After what seemed like a lifetime to them, Janet and Ben finally arrived back at the house to share the happy news… and Ben stayed one more night :)

Support bacteria... they're the only culture some people have.

www.theknot.com/ourwedding/JanetSaenz&BenjaminMcDaniel

Posted: Aug 14, 2006 11:08 AM Go to message in response to: 66nova

I'm surprised no one else said the same... but he didn't.  My FH is an engineer, quiet and not exactly the romantic type.  We kind of discussed it and decided to get married.  We both decided that this is it, he's the one for me, I'm the one for him... so we started saving money for a wedding.

November 3, 2007 I marry my best friend!

Posted: Aug 15, 2006 4:59 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

wow! there are so many cute stories on this thread! this is what i have to share for the time being: on july 31 of this year i went out to medina to spend the day with my FH/then boyfriend. i honestly don't even remember most of the day or the plans for the day. i just knew i was spending the night so that the next day he and his friend, tristin, and i could drive down to columbus to see one of chris and i's favorite bands, ted leo + the pharmacists. we both consider ted leo's music to be the soundtrack to our falling in love, and so to do this the night before going to see ted again was the absolute perfect timing. we ended up at his friend jay's house for a party (yea, we're young, we're partiers, yada yada). in the past we had talked about wanting to spend the rest of our lives together, which is strange because neither of us have EVER been the type to think too far ahead in the future when it comes to relationships. i had a feeling from all of the "i want to spend the rest of my life with you" talk that something was going to happen soon, just not that night! everyone had gone to sleep and we were laying on the floor in the basement talking. he told me he really meant it when he said he wanted to spend the rest of his life with me. i told him i was serious too, and admitted that i'd started dreaming about getting married. i said something along the lines of "i've thought to myself before, 'if chris were to propose to me the next day, i would say yes'"...he asked something like "what do you mean by the next day?" and i said just in general, i would say yes, any time. he told me to close my eyes and i heard him get up and get a piece of tape off the desk. then i heard a marker scribbling something. he told me to sit up and took my hand, then wrapped this piece of tape around my ring and middle fingers. i opened my eyes and he had colored the tape pinkish-orange and written "i love u" on it. he looked at me and asked "will you marry me?". i just nodded and said yes a bunch of times and we hugged for a long time. i remember asking over and over "are you serious? do you really mean it?" haha. i put the piece of tape in a notebook i carry everywhere with me. the next morning we got breakfast with tristin and had a wonderful time seeing ted leo live. when he played "biomusicology" i turned and slow danced with him- its the song i had dreamed we would dance to for our first dance. i'm surprised tristin didn't catch on sooner that something was different between us! we started telling close friends and have yet to make a full on announcement. honestly, our parents don't even know yet! we've decided to wait until he can get the ring to tell them, and the rest of our friends. but that should be coming up in the next few weeks soooo...woo! i'm so excited to tell people and scared to death of telling my mom haha. but we know this is what we want. i am just crossing my fingers that he chooses a cute way to present the ring like all of your FHs have and doesn't just go "hey sweetie look i finally got it!" hahaha

Message was edited by bri on Aug 15, 2006 5:10 AM

Posted: Aug 15, 2006 10:01 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

He took me to a nice Italian resturant but he was stand offish, he wouldn't let me get too close to him while we were waiting for our table, he wouldn't let me sit next to him, but he was being really nice, (not complaing about the price of what I wanted to eat, ordering my favorite drink - which I seldom order because they are more expensive) after dinner he asked me to walk on the beach with him......Um a little chilly out but o-kay. Again wouldn't let me put my arm around him....just keeping his distance. I am strting to think WTF you know. Then I realize I am walking and talking with my self. I turn around (it is black outside only moonlight, no lights on the beach so I could hardly see a thing) and he is down on one knee and he thanked me for being so good to him and askede me to spend the rest of my life with him I started to cry I actually told him that he couldn't do that to me obviously I said yes, couldn't see the ring at all too dark....but at least I know now why he was so standoffish, he had the ring (not just the ring) but the whole big old ring box in his pocket and didn't want me to find it!!! How thoughtful!

RMB0414 Posts : 1,386 Registered: 8/2/06
Posted: Aug 15, 2006 8:14 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I have to admit I have a big goofy grin on my face reading everyone's stories.  I love the build a bear story - that store is such a great idea.  And your FH's idea was even better lol.  My FH proposed this past Easter - well it was really the Saturday night before Easter - so Easter Eve.  Both of my parents are remarried so we have very busy, hectic holidays all of the time.  We have to do all sides of my family, plus his family.  So it was about 11 the night before and I wanted to exchange Easter Bunny gifts then so we wouldn't be so crazy in the morning.  He kind of gave me a hard time about it but I am relentless when it comes to surprises, even if I thought it was only going to be candy.  But he couldn't stop smiling so I couldn't stop asking!!!  So I gave him his basket with nothing out of the ordinary in it (his fav candy, etc) and then he told me to go hide in our bedroom and that he had an easter egg hunt planned for me.  So I'm antsy and keep asking if I can come out - finally he comes and gets me and I notice this one egg right in front of my face (so it seemed - I think it was speaking to me haha) and I grabbed it!  He got SO mad at me and told me I had to open that one last, so then I was like okay, really what is going on.  So I found the few other eggs like a mad woman and ran over to that egg.  All it was, was a plastic egg filled with PB cubs (my fav).  So I give it an "oh great, PB cups my fav ... you know me ... why the heck did I have to do this one last" and then there it was sparkling at me!!!!!!!!!!  It was so awesome, all I could say was "no way, you didn't, no way" it was awesome!!!  I love Easter now!!!

Daisypath Ticker

Posted: Aug 15, 2006 10:57 PM Go to message in response to: RMB0414

That is so cute. I would never expect anything like that from Roudy. I was surprised that he was half-way romantic enough to propose on the Ferris wheel.

Great stories, girls!

Soon 2Be Mrs. Patton

Posted: Aug 17, 2006 11:28 AM Go to message in response to: RMB0414

Rena............AWWWWWWWW..............that is soo cute! I love that Easter story. What a great proposal.

Posted: Aug 17, 2006 12:25 PM Go to message in response to: kelleyiskelley

Thanks!  I'm pretty proud of him.  Easter is the last holiday I (or anyone) would think a proposal would happen.  I'm happy he did it when and how he did!!  Very sweet - I wonder if there is a way I could do something with easter eggs for our wedding seeing as it's the weekend after ... I just wouldn't want anything too "corny".  Any ideas??
Daisypath Ticker

Posted: Aug 20, 2006 7:35 PM Go to message in response to: RMB0414

Depends on how far you want to go with that theme of Easter. My wedding is Christmas themed, so I have LOTS of ways to incorporate holidays into your wedding...not sure if you mean just for you and him, or for the guests, etc. You could have a light easter themed wedding...this would esp. be sweet/cute if everyone is familiar with the story of how he proposed. If they are not, write up a little thing in the program explaining it....you could have Easter Baskets as centerpieces filled with eggs or candy....or you could use a big basket for your GIFTS/cards instead of a box. Or you could have Easter eggs for the table assighments with the name of person printed right on the Egg... this might be a lot of work but would be cute as hell! Paint the persons name on each egg...then have a basket as centerpiece and people put their eggs into the basket when they sit down. You can have candy, chocolate eggs, marshmallow peeps etc in the basket and give them away as a prize ....

I dont know. Are these too corny? lol. I think its cute, but again..im going MENTAL with my christmas theme... its turned into an obsession lol.

Posted: Aug 20, 2006 7:53 PM Go to message in response to: kelleyiskelley

I made the decision to go to grad school 180 miles away from our home. They didn't offer my program in my area, so if I wanted to pursue this I had to leave our home. My FH has been 100% supportive. The day before I went to move my stuff down we went to an "anniversary" party for his aunt and uncle at my FIL's house. Turns out it was a going away party for me! FH rounded up our families, friends I hadn't seen in years, all to see me off. I was so touched. I guess I should have suspected spmething, since my FH said he always wanted our familes around if he ever asked me to marry him. Bear in mind, we'd been together a long time, and had gone back and forth about marriage.

My FH said he had a surprise for me and we went into his old room. There, where we spent part of our first date, and countless hours after, he got down on his knee and asked me. I was floored. Then the funny part came when we couldn't decide who had to make the announcement so we did rock paper scissors! Come to think of it I don't remember who lost! I think I did. Anyway, we told everyone and my sister screamed!

I loved how we had this very private moment but then were able to share it with everyone!

Posted: Aug 21, 2006 12:54 PM Go to message in response to: kelleyiskelley

Those aren't corny at all - they are really cute!  I still don't know what I'm going to do though, if I even do anything at all.  I already have the centerpieces and the card thing hmmm ... maybe I'll fill little clear bags with choc easter eggs or jelly beans and put a little story on the front.  I guess I do have some time to think about it (O:  Thanks!!
Daisypath Ticker

JoeRissa Posts : 7 Registered: 8/28/06
Posted: Aug 28, 2006 6:54 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Wow, I can not believe how similar your proposal was to mine. My FH and I went to Coney Island and he proposed on the Wonder Wheel. We were up at the top when he pulled out the black box and asked me to be his wife. Its funny, we were supposed to go to six flags that day, but we didnt get there on time to buy the tickets.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine