How to lose a friend

Online Users: 1,353 guest(s), 1 user(s). Replies: 1
How to lose a friend
Posted: Aug 2, 2006 5:47 PM

There is a girl that I've been friends with for over 18 years.  She has asked me to be in her wedding and I felt that I had to include her in mine, so I asked her to be one of my bride's maids.  For the past few years I have grown apart from her.  I don't even really want to be friends with her.  I don't enjoy hanging out with her anymore.  We are two totally different people now.  I just wanted some advise on how to deal with this.  I don't want to be her friend anymore.  I don't want to be in her wedding or her be in mine.  I don't want to be mean to her.  Should I just deal with it until after the weddings or come out and let her know how I feel?  I'm totally lost on this, any help would be appreciated. 

mereditor Posts : 16 Registered: 5/5/06
Re: How to lose a friend
Posted: Aug 2, 2006 7:54 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

If her wedding is still months away, you can talk to her and say how flattered you were that she asked you to be in her party, but you've reconsidered, and you'd rather not be in her bridal party anymore. If her wedding is just around the corner, then I think it's best if you suck it up and stick it out. A bride is bound to be extremely stressed when her wedding is just weeks away; it's cruel to back out so close to the wedding. 

And although it's customary to ask any friend who asked you to be in their bridal party to be in yours, but if you feel strongly about not including her, you shouldn't feel obligated. It's your wedding. Her feelings may be hurt, but all you can do is explain your decision. It's up to her to get over it or not. 

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine