I just need to vent---please!!!

Online Users: 1,285 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 25

AlyxisPaige Posts : 189 Registered: 4/18/06
I just need to vent---please!!!
Posted: Jul 31, 2006 11:12 AM

My Fh just got a new job. A great one! Full benefit, dental, medical, paid a week vacation, 5 years contract, $2/hr raise every 12, they also paying for his college to get his Bachalor degree. What more can you ask for!!!

So ... we decided that we had to move. That place was too far for FH to drive everyday. We got a new apartment, $500 everything included and we could keep all 4 of our dogs. Everything were going great!!

Then ... there's come the problem. There's always a BUT. WHY IS THERE ALWAYS A BUT !!!! I have to transfer my college from on side of the state to another. No problem with me. I'm OK --- I'd  rather be at my old school. But This school is ok too.

I don't know if any of you girl know TOEFL test. It's like ACT/SAT ... just for people like me who were born on a non-english native country. We need to take that test in order to attend any university/college in USA or Canada. I took the test 3 years ago in high school, and I pass. I didn't crack a book, not once! I've been in USA since Aug 2002 --- meaning it'll be almost 4 years this upcoming august! 4 years in USA --- you would think I can speak, listen and write in english ... AM I NOT RIGHT???

at the college i was enrolling in (and currently, technically, still is), My GPA is 2.8 up. Depend on how hard I party during that certain semester. I took Anatomy and Physiology and got a B for F%$* sake!!!!!!!!!! I got A in speech and I took HONOR english in high school --- in UNITED STATE OF AMERICA, WHICH EVERYTHING WAS TAUGHT IN ENGLISH!!! I graduated from USA high school in Idaho with a 3.1 GPA and rank top 25 in the class. I took a college English 101. Too bad I hadn't take the second on---because I didn't want to until my Junior year dur to schedule conflic! And that's what fuck me up!!!

Well ... the darn admission office say I have to have a TOEFL score re-take since it's more than 2 years old. (I took it in summer 2003). She said "unless you took Freshman AND Sophormore English in college---you need a TOEFL SCORE regardless or your application cannot be process"

And thank you for telling me this on August 1st When the classes start in 3 weeks It cost $150 to take the test and where the heck will I get the money from? Plus it take 15 days for the test to be process---and the earliest test date is Aug 12nd!!! I have no time

THis mean .... I have to go back to my old college (part of me is happy. I like it better anyway). But meaning --- the apartment we have here where my FH works .. FH will be the only one living here--with 4 dogs!!! He'll pay $500 all by himself.

I, on the other hand, need to pay for ANOTHER apartment---which really don't make any sense. Unless I stay in the dorm, which I hate to do but will probably have to. Meaning FH and I will have to stay at a place 5 hours away from each other!!!

FH is the only income we have. That includes my tuition,rent,food ---everything you can think of! Now that the living expenses has to be double---it's ridiculous!

How am I going to plan the wedding like this? We can't even save money anymore because of this freaking rediculous expenses come in the way. I'm going to have to try to transfer again in the Spring and see what happens then.

I really just want to cry

Re: I just need to vent---please!!!
Posted: Jul 31, 2006 11:30 AM Go to message in response to: AlyxisPaige

Is taking a semester off an option?

Posted: Jul 31, 2006 11:32 AM Go to message in response to: AlyxisPaige

I'm so sorry! that is a really sticky situation.  Can you talk to the people at the school near FH and see if there can be an extension.  Generally schools will be fairly resonable if you explain that you will take the exam at the next available test date and your full acceptance would be contigent on your passing.  Is there a teacher you are comfortable talking to at your first school who could help with the process or vouch for your competence?

As for the money... well weddings are expensive, but your rent is incredibly cheap!  perhaps a little less partying for the semester and you will be able to afford the test.  Financial aid can sometimes cover it as well.

Posted: Jul 31, 2006 11:37 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

Ok .... I'm an international student ---- which mean:

Taking a semester off = deported

Financial Aid from Government = Not available

Partying = I already quite. It was the Freshman thing.

Test = I know I'll pass it just fine. No Problamo

Extension = NOT possible. Government is very strick with international student, esp since 9/11 (damn those terrorist!)

myra Posts : 5,550 Registered: 3/28/06
Posted: Jul 31, 2006 1:45 PM Go to message in response to: AlyxisPaige

Alyxis, universities can be sticky about their rules--but they apply to everyone, not just you. Economically speaking, how do you even compare the expenses of a $150 test with the price of two separate domiciles, commuting, etc. It seems to me that it would be better to take the darned test and be done with it.

As far as your English goes, I am a former English teacher with a degree in Teaching English as a Second Language. I can tell that you still have a way to go before you master the English language--no shame there, the average is 7 years to fluency and, even then, written English, especially academic English, is much harder than everyday spoken English. Given that your GPA is not sterling, your new university might want to be sure that you're up to the challenge of advanced classes. Don't be surprised if you're forced to take more English classes--it happens, even for students who are not foreigh born! If you wish to save money, you might consider delaying your entrance to the university and picking up a few required classes at a local community college. They are transferable, so you really will not be delaying your education, but you will not be paying the high tuition that you otherwise would spend. Good luck.

myra at www.classysassyweddings.com

Posted: Jul 31, 2006 1:54 PM Go to message in response to: myra

It seems to me that it would be better to take the darned test and be done with it.

just to refer back to my post, if you read it carefully. TOEFL test take up to 15 days to process. Classes start in 3 week. And the earliest date available test is Aug 12nd.

What piss me off was the admission first tell me I didn't need a TOEFL score since I'm going to be a junior. No mention about having to have both freshman AND sophormore english class. Trust me...I look at the possibility of local community college. It's ALSO too late.

Posted: Jul 31, 2006 2:46 PM Go to message in response to: AlyxisPaige

Is there no where within driving distance that can accomodate you for the Aug 4th test date?

Posted: Jul 31, 2006 3:47 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

no ... none of the Aug 4th test date is available within my area. We're talking about even if I'm willing to drive 6 hours!

myra Posts : 5,550 Registered: 3/28/06
Posted: Jul 31, 2006 3:59 PM Go to message in response to: AlyxisPaige

Well, are you saying there's no solution? Are you sure? Will the university or community college let you register for classes conditionally (allowed to complete class on the condition that you pass the test)? Can you sign up for on-line or distance learning courses that you can take at your own pace, no matter where you are? Otherwise, as I understand your options, you can: stay where you are and transfer later; drop out for a quarter, trimester, or semester and risk deportation; start community college classes a little late and try to catch up (are there no classes open that you can use for credit? not one?); appeal to the College Board, or whoever administers the test, to allow late registration because you were informed so late; take the August 12 test anyhow, so you have it under your belt and are ready to go when you do transfer.

Have you consulted with counselors at your school, the new university, and community colleges? Sometimes, they're very knowledgeable about all of this.Try to explore all of your options. If all of the above are no-go's, I don't know what anyone here can offer you.

Posted: Jul 31, 2006 4:14 PM Go to message in response to: myra

Well, are you saying there's no solution? Still working on it

Are you sure? I'm not positive

Will the university or community college let you register for classes conditionally (allowed to complete class on the condition that you pass the test)? No. Already asked.

Can you sign up for on-line or distance learning courses that you can take at your own pace, no matter where you are? The USA law states that international student must remain a full-time student. 75% of all classes must be taken IN PERSON at the campus he/she attend, not an online classes. And that's what I'm leaning toward to---take classes and fit them into Tuesday/Thursday (so I only have to travel 2 day/week, if not less) and take the rest online.

Otherwise, as I understand your options, you can: stay where you are and transfer later; drop out for a quarter, trimester, or semester and risk deportation; start community college classes a little late and try to catch up (are there no classes open that you can use for credit? not one?) There are --- but it's way too late to apply.

; appeal to the College Board, or whoev er administers the test, to allow late registration because you were informed so late; take the August 12 test anyhow, so you have it under your belt and are ready to go when you do transfer. I am. But they are being a BIG pain in the butt!

Have you consulted with counselors at your school, the new university, and community colleges? yeah .... all I heard was "at xx university, they doesn't have the same policy that we do.Your GPA is higher than 2.75 and you graduated from USA high school. We wouldn't have asked for your TOEFL score. But this is out of our hand, we don't know what to say"

In our Sometimes, they're very knowledgeable about all of this.Try to explore all of your options. If all of the above are no-go's, I don't know what anyone here can offer you. Just --- a little encoragement would be nice. T_T

Posted: Jul 31, 2006 5:28 PM Go to message in response to: AlyxisPaige

Hi Alyxis.  Why are you on a post asking for advice if you all you require is encouragement, as stated in your previous post?  And in fact, I think Myra was extremely encouraging in her email to you and offered you many smart ideas.  How could she know that you had already explored those avenues?  It sounds like you are very stressed, and obviously none of the girls on this website are completely knowleageable about your situation.  Only you can make the right decision for yourself and of course we all hope for the best for you.  But it's sad to that you felt the need to reject all of Myra's suggestions and then insult her as well.

Kimberly

Posted: Aug 1, 2006 3:02 AM Go to message in response to: AlyxisPaige

Maybe you could do late admission or enroll tentatively for the first few weeks.  Good luck.

Megan

gwtwred Posts : 258 Registered: 7/6/06
Posted: Aug 1, 2006 3:25 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

In fairness, the title of AlexisPage's post is "I just need to vent," not "I need some advice."  Everyone else here just took it upon themselves to dole it out.  And I am about to follow suit.  :-)

AlexisPage, this suggestion may seem totally off the wall, but there are other ways of avoiding deportation besides enrolling in university, even if you're on a student visa.  Wouldn't you automatically get an extended visa if you and your FH were married?  (I'm assuming he's an American citizen).  You could go down to the JP and get married tomorrow, if you wanted to.  That would allow you to maybe take a quarter off from school, get your TOEFL taken care of, live with FH, save money, and then enroll second quarter.  You would of course still have your real wedding later, and you would always know when your real anniversary was, even if your marriage license said something different.  Is that something that's worth looking into?  Good luck!

Posted: Aug 1, 2006 8:43 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

I'm sorry I didn't know that I was insulting. But I really just needed to vent. If anything I say was inappropriate please tell me so that i know it's not something I should be saying.

If some of you remember my other posts--in my culture, calling someone fat on their face is consider very normal. I did that here and it was very rude, and I learned it the hard way. So if there's something that's wrong here, please let me know.

Sparkles Posts : 257 Registered: 3/30/06
Posted: Aug 1, 2006 12:11 PM Go to message in response to: AlyxisPaige

If you have to stay back at your other school, couldn't you get a job?  You will probably have a lot of extra time on your hands, since fh will be across the state, and you don't party any more!  It might be worth looking in to.  Even a minimum wage job would go a long ways towards helping your situation.  And, your wedding looks like it's a ways off, so you might be able to put your wedding planning and purchasing off for a while.  That might be a bummer (I love buying stuff for my wedding, but have had to contain myself since my wedding is so far off, and I might find something I like better in the next few years!), but it would be worth it if it got you through school!

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine