Questions about the pill

Online Users: 1,307 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 34
Questions about the pill
Posted: Jul 16, 2006 4:57 PM

I have never used the pill before, and my doctor just prescribed Yasmin.  We went over all the important questions about side effects and everything, but I forgot to ask her a few things, and I hope you all can help me out.

1) Is it OK to have sex while you're on the placebo pills during the 4th week, or should you use a condom?

2) Is it OK to skip a period by skipping the placebo pills and going right to the next pack of active pills?  (I think I might need to do this to aviod having a period on my wedding day!)

3)  How common is the breakthrough bleeding?  My doctor told me it's not all that common, but I'm curious about how many of you who are on Yasmin experienced it when you first started out on the pills.  (I really hope I don't have any bleeding on my wedding night!  Yikes!)

Thanks a lot!  I really feel like I should know this stuff, but like I said, the pill is all new to me!

RomanticGirl Posts : 777 Registered: 3/28/06
Re: Questions about the pill
Posted: Jul 16, 2006 5:00 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I'm on yasmin. I personally do not feel comfortable with skipping periods. I know that's common these days to skip the placebos, and i know that the "period" you get on birth control is supposedly fake anyway, but I feel that there must be something cleansing for the uterus about having a period. But that's just my own instinct.

It's fine to have sex on the fourth week. No condom neccessary.

Never had breakthrough bleeding.

I will add that I really want to come off this pill. It's a low dose, but it's still screwing with my hormones... low sex drive, and i've started getting night sweats!!!(a symptom of menopause.... which makes me worried my hormones are getting really screwed up.) But yasmin has few side effects (but a low libido is a serious thing). You may not have the same experience as me though.

MrsCase1216 Posts : 158 Registered: 7/12/06
Posted: Jul 16, 2006 5:58 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I've been on Yasmin for about 18 months.  It's actually the first one I've been able to use that hasn't given me problems like breakthrough bleeding (a very little bit the first month, but if you've already started, you should be fine by your wedding!)  It is OK to have sex during the 4th week, but that should be the week your period starts, so that's something to think about.  As far as skipping the last week and just starting a new pack, there really isn't anything wrong with it (I'm going to have to do the same for my wedding), after all, there's the new one that you only get it 4 times a year now because you take continuous pills the rest of the time!

There are so many others you can experiment with if you find that you don't like the Yasmin, but like I said, I've found it to be the best one yet for me!  Good luck!

Posted: Jul 16, 2006 7:45 PM Go to message in response to: MrsCase1216

Just a side note, you CAN get pregnant while on your period if you have sex without a condom.  Sperm can live up to 3-5 days in the uterus.  If your period stops and the sperm is still alive, you can get pregnant.  This is not very common but it is something I would take into consideration.  As for skipping your placebo pills and starting a new week, I do it all the time.  If it wasnt healthy, they wouldnt have created Seasonale Smile (which I used briefly) in where you only get your period 4 times a year.  Medically, you only need your period 4 times a year and still be healthy.  Yay!

enb22 Posts : 11 Registered: 3/28/06
Posted: Jul 16, 2006 9:17 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I'm not on Yasmin, but I'm on Alesse (sp?). You should be okay to have sex during the 4th week without using a condom. Whenever I've switched pills or started pills I've waited a full month before I would even consider doing anything without a condom...it takes time for your body to adjust to the hormones.

As for skipping your period by skipping placebos, it's easier to do with some pills than others. There is a good possibility that you will experience some breakthrough bleeding because of the type of pill it is. If I'm not mistaken, the amount of hormones changes throughout the weeks with those pills. It's easier to skip placebos if you have pills that have the same combo of hormones throughout the month.

For the breakthrough bleeding, again, I've never taken Yasmin but with the pills that I have been on, I've never experiences breakthrough bleeding.

newsjunkie Posts : 3,417 Registered: 3/30/06
Posted: Jul 16, 2006 11:08 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I have never been on the Pill before.  I was on Depo Provera for years and loooooved it- no periods, no PMS- it was GREAT!  However, even though Depo and many other forms of birth control are highly effective at preventing pregnancy I would still use a condom just in case.  I really, really, really do not want a baby right now so it is better to be safe than sorry!

newsjunkie Posts : 3,417 Registered: 3/30/06
Posted: Jul 16, 2006 11:08 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I have never been on the Pill before.  I was on Depo Provera for years and loooooved it- no periods, no PMS- it was GREAT!  However, even though Depo and many other forms of birth control are highly effective at preventing pregnancy I would still use a condom just in case.  I really, really, really do not want a baby right now so it is better to be safe than sorry!

Posted: Jul 17, 2006 12:20 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

honey - READ the insert in your prescription - POST this on the health board - ASK your doctor these questions (it's your body and you are paying the doctor - you have every right and a responsibility to ask these things)

Posted: Jul 17, 2006 12:40 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

Thanks, all! 

As far as skipping your period on purpose, I was pretty sure that it is OK, but I wanted to check.  Also, I guess that since the pill keeps you from ovulating, you shouldn't be able to get pregnant in the 4th week, although I'm not sure what keeps you from ovulating while you're on the placebos (maybe the hormone levels don't get low enough for that?).  Maybe I will call up the GYN's office to ask that.

LauriandVic:  I honestly am not trying to substitute this board for real medical advice.  I like I said, I already asked my GYN most of the real important questions.  It's just that I was pretty sure I knew the answers to my questions, but I wanted to hear it from women who are already using the same pill I am.  Also, I did read the insert, but it didn't specifically address the questions I asked. For example, it said it was OK to go right on to the next pack of pills if you skipped a couple of pills in the 3rd week, but it didn't mention missing a period on purpose, and it said to use a condom if you're just beginning or using antibiotics or something, but it didn't mention anything about having sex during the 4th week.

Thanks again!

Posted: Jul 17, 2006 12:40 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

The reason she probably posted here instead of health is because the health boards are basically dead.

I am not on yasmin (Ortho Evra, but I think I'm going to change). I think you should be ok to have sex the 4th week. It's ok to skip periods and go straight to the next pack as long as you don't do it all the time. I forgot what the othe question was. I was thinking of trying Loestrin 24. Has anyone else tried it?

Soon 2Be Mrs. Patton

Posted: Jul 17, 2006 12:47 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

The reason she probably posted here instead of health is because the health boards are basically dead.

Exactly.  Smile

Posted: Jul 17, 2006 2:41 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

Just thought I'd add my two cents.  Wink

Although sperm can live for a period of a few days inside of the uterus, that shouldn't be a problem while on the pill since ovulation isn't occuring; however, I'm not sure about the physiology/endocrinology behind why you don't release an egg when the estrogen and progesterone levels drop during week 4.  (I'm curious now, too, so I'll try to find out tomorrow).  My guess is that one week simply doesn't allow enough time for an egg to mature and then be released, since on a regular cycle that tends to take about two weeks (the process really is quite complex and involves other hormones that can't really go to work until the sex hormone levels drop).  Also, although Seasonale does allow you to skip most of your periods, I'm not sure what the possible consequences of doing that with another BCP are.  After all, each pill has it's own formulation of hormones.  For example, Yasmin uses the progesterone Drospirenone while Seasonale uses Levonorgestrel.  I have never heard of anyone having complications from skipping one period though (of course, the fact that I havn't heard it doesn't mean much, but I'm pretty sure it's generally considered a safe thing to do). 

As far as the hormone dose goes, Yasmin is monophasic, meaning the hormone dose is the same in each of the active pills.

And one last thing, the progesterone that Yasmin uses is unique because it's anti-androgenic (androgens are the male sex hormones, and they are the hormones that are generally linked to acne and weight gain related to metabolic changes).  So, my understanding is that Yasmin can be a good choice for someone wanting to decrease their chances of gaining weight and/or developing acne while on the pill.  

*I had an OB/GYN rotation a few weeks back, so this stuff is pretty recent for me.  Also, I remembered some of it from college physiology, and I looked some of it up in the new Merck Manual. 

Posted: Jul 17, 2006 7:01 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

Just wanted to add that if you do plan on skipping your period for your wedding, try to skip a period on a cycle prior to your wedding month.  It doesn't work for everyone.  If you are one of the unlucky ladies whos body doesn't cooperate with that trick....you will be left with very annoying on-off spotting until your next full period comes.  And surprise spotting throughout your wedding day or honeymoon  would be worse than having a period, knowing it, and being prepared.

Posted: Jul 17, 2006 10:58 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

i wanted to definitely agree w/ erin. don't wait until your wedding to take 2 packs in a row. sometimes, you do have break through bleeding. i found when i take 2 packs in a row, if i don't take the second pack at exactly the same time every day, i wound up w/ a 2-3 week spotting fiasco. just go ahead and take 2 packs now in order to divert your period from coming at wedding time.  i also switched to yasmin recently after being on ortho tri-cyclen for years. i'm liking yasmin alot. 

Posted: Jul 17, 2006 11:21 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

Just a commen about how you don't ovulate when you're on the pill - in order to ovulate your body requires a surge in estrogen to start the ovulation cascade of events, which isn't allowed to happen so long as you're on the pill because the pill's hormones mimic your cycle which in turn induces negative feedback on the cycle (i.e. your body already thinks its doing what its supposed to so it doesn't end up doing it). So since you never ovulate, you don't have to worry about having sex during your period and getting pregnant.

-

About skipping a period: I just did this for my wedding. I have done it before, but man this time was rough: think of having PMS for 3 weeks straight. I thought I was pregnant! My boobs were huge (not so bad :) ) but very sore, and I was also bloated and felt like I had gained 10 lbs. Then, as soon as the second pack ended and my period came, I felt soooo much better. So, just something to think about :) I'd skip the period before your wedding, not the one during it, just incase you experience the same thing!

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine