The Thread Nobody Wants To Read

Online Users: 1,250 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 49
Re: The Thread Nobody Wants To Read
Posted: Jul 3, 2006 9:09 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

I don't have a lot of experience with the suicide threat thing, but I did have a friend in high school (boy who had a crush on me- didn't like him at all but felt bad for him since he had no friends and befriended him) who freaked me out really bad on the computer when he started telling me he was going to slit his wrists and that nobody liked him. It was terrifying. I actually got my brother and another friend who knew him and we drove to his house only to find him asleep in bed. After that I talked to several other people who said he did the same exact thing to them and they were online for hours trying to talk him out of it. Nearly all people I have discussed it with have told me the same thing. Most people who threaten suicide do not actually comit it. I'm sure there are plenty of exceptions but the people who are using it in a manipulative threatening manor are not generally ready to actually do it. They just want to control you. You did the right thing by contacting people and letting them handle it. He is most likely trying to guilt you into being with him again. 

-Finally a Newlywed!!

BB84 Posts : 388 Registered: 3/31/06
Posted: Jul 5, 2006 3:45 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

This has happened to me....and it was just manipulation.  If someone truly wants to commit suicide, they don't tell people because that would just get in their way.  However, there ARE exceptions, which makes it hard to blow these threats off.   I think you did the right thing, and I also think you need to look out for yourself now....this is not good for you.  Don't let him manipulate you this way.  You don't need to be talking to him at this point.

Posted: Jul 5, 2006 3:54 PM Go to message in response to: BB84

Just regarding suicide (not specific to this post) - threats of suicide are NOT empty and should ALWAYS be taken seriously.  Most suicidal people don't want to die and they crying out for help.  And if someone is using it as a form of manipulation - they are clearly mentally ill and need help of some kind.  It's a myth that most people who talk about or threaten suicide never actually go through it - and that myth is one of the reasons that so many people do in fact die every year from sucessful suicide attempts. 

Posted: Jul 5, 2006 4:12 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

The drama continues! Actually, not so much. I haven't heard from him since that last e-mail (3 AM or so Saturday morning), which is a pretty significant change from the 1-5x a day he HAD been trying to contact me since I moved out. I have a feeling one of the people I called told him to leave me alone. The therapist did call me to ask specifically what my ex had said on the phone, but that's sensible enough for him to do.

It's their problem now... looks like he'll have to be more creative the next time he wants to get someone's attention. 

So here's hoping things stay quiet.  :)

SunshineDaydream Posts : 484 Registered: 3/31/06
Posted: Jul 5, 2006 7:56 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

"Most people who threaten suicide do not actually comit it."

I work in the mental health field and have a masters in counseling psychology and that is BS.  99% of people that complete a suicide have threatened it and talk about it.  The statement that you made above is one of the reasons so many people end up completing suicide-because their threats arene't taken seriously. 

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine