Would this be offensive?

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 7
Would this be offensive?
Posted: May 5, 2006 10:22 AM

Groom and I are having a non-denominational service, however he would like to do the glass breaking that is done at the end of a Jewish wedding ceremony. Would this be offensive to some guests as the ceremony will be non-denominational and not Jewish?

Re: Would this be offensive?
Posted: May 5, 2006 1:47 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Are you jewish?

If yes, then OK.

If not, then why?

If you fell like breaking glasses, you could always break your toasting glasses, 'so they are never used for a lesser purpose'. 

aviatrix Posts : 39 Registered: 3/31/06
Posted: May 5, 2006 2:10 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Non-denominational is great because there isn't a set of rules, there are so many different way to do things.  Perhaps you could explain the significance of breaking the glass in your program or something like that so the guests will know why you're doing that.  I wouldn't be offend, but I also don't know your guests.

I'm planning on having both my parents walk me down the isle, which is traditional at Jewish weddings, but I wanted to do that even before I knew that.  One parent isn't more important that the other, and I really didn't want mom to be left out.

Posted: May 6, 2006 6:14 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

My FH really wanted to stomp on a glass too! It must be a guy thing... 

I asked this question a few months ago on ModernBride, and I got a lot of different responses. I do like the idea of breaking the toasting glasses after using them.

Posted: May 15, 2006 2:03 PM Go to message in response to: aviatrix

aviatrix - I too am having both parents walk me down the aisle! In fact, FH will walk down the aisle with both his parents too!

Posted: May 15, 2006 3:25 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I'm Jewish, and we are doing that as part of our traditional ceremony.  However, I wouldn't care if a non-Jewish bride and groom incorporated that into their ceremony.  I'm not going to jump the broom-but if I did...I'm sure those who do wouldn't care either.  As long as you know the symbolism, and the purpose of the breaking of the glass, then it really doesn't matter.

Jean Posts : 101 Registered: 3/28/06
Posted: May 16, 2006 12:35 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Many couples are choosing to incorporate traditions from different cultures into their wedding day.  The important thing is the reason why you are choosing a particular tradition.  If you choose somethng because you have an appreciation for its meaning, sentiment and symbolism, then there should be no problem.  However, if your reason is only because "it looks cool" then bypass it altogether.

Will some people find a different tradition offensive?  Perhaps.  We can't please all the people all the time.  But, most people will  appreciate something different -- if done with the right intentions and the right reasons -- so don't worry yourself about what everyone will think. 

Believe me, guests more often appreciate and enjoy the ceremonies that the couple has given some serious thought to, whether it’s a bit of personalization to the vows or readings, or in adding a new element such as what you have in mind.

Posted: May 22, 2006 1:52 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I guess it's up to you, but I would find it odd to see non-Jewish people stepping on the glass.  I would at least, offer an explanation as to why you are doing this in the program or have the officiant say something.  Also, I would be sure you understand the meaning and history behind it too...not do it just because it's fun to stomp on some glass.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine