Veil over your face?

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 18
Veil over your face?
Posted: May 3, 2006 2:41 PM

Does any know the true story behind this?  I have heard so many different things such as, it doesn't mean anything, it means purity, it means wealth, it means you are a first time bride, etc...

I want to wear my veil over my face because that is the way I have always pictured myself walking down the aisle, and it is ok with my church.  I have never been married before, but I am definately not a virgin (I have two children, and FH and I live together).

I know the "white dress" thing doesn't really matter anymore, but will there be raised eyebrows if I wear my veil over my face?

Re: Veil over your face?
Posted: May 3, 2006 2:43 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I can't imagine it will raise more eyebrows than wearing a white dress.  I think it's your wedding and you ought to do what you want--but people who are gonna raise their eyebrows are gonna do it anyway.  Let 'em.

Posted: May 3, 2006 4:09 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I don't think it will offend anyone, Its more of a preference now of days then anything, im not but thats only because everytime that i tried a viel that requires flipping it ended up looking very badly. but i do love the look of it! Do it and enjoy it!

Posted: May 3, 2006 4:37 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I'm sooo with Fritz on this!!  I have a veil, but not sure how I want to wear it, yet.  My FH wants me to wear it over my face, but I'm not real sure if I want to or not.  I guess it depends more on how I end up doing my hair... priorities.  LOL!!!

Image hosting by Photobucket

Our Wedding Website!

Posted: May 3, 2006 5:54 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

i think i'll wear it over my face. i agree with the other ladies, i dont think it matters what it initially meant, bc lets face it, culturally we assimilate SSSOOOO many traditions that if we looked into EVERYTHING, we would probably not have any fun at all. so long as YOU like it i think it will be great. i am really looking forward to when FH lifts the veil off my face!

Posted: May 3, 2006 6:06 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I'm excited for my FH to lift the veil off my face and kiss me. I'm wearing it that way because I like it, not because it signifies anything to me. And I'm a pretty strict ettiquite hellion  and I'm not virginal or anything. No raised eyebrows here on this issue! 

Posted: May 3, 2006 6:09 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

My friend got married last year with the veil over her face with her kids sitting right behind her! Like you I think she had just always wanted to do it that way. I think you are okay. I always thought that that virgin-veil thing was rooted in  religion, so if your church is okay with it, I don't think there's a problem.

aviatrix Posts : 39 Registered: 3/31/06
Posted: May 3, 2006 6:12 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I say, if you want to wear a veil then wear one.  The "meanings" of things like that have changed so much over time that it can realy mean whatever you want it to or nothing at all.  My family was surprised that I don't want to wear one.  I think they just thought that brides wear veils and not about some hidden meaning.  I don't think that there will be any raised eyebrows because of your veil.

Posted: May 3, 2006 6:50 PM Go to message in response to: aviatrix

You can wear your veil any way you want.  One of the origins of the veil was that with arranged mariages, the bride and groom met for the first time at thier wedding and the veil was so that the groom couldn't glimpse the bride before the wedding and then change his mind and vice versa I suppose. 

Posted: May 4, 2006 1:02 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I always thought that the father of the bride lifts the veil? Am I wrong

Posted: May 4, 2006 1:11 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I've seen it done both ways.  I guess its a matter of choice if you want your father to lift it, or your husband to lift it before you kiss.

Posted: May 4, 2006 1:21 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I am wearing my veil also, and my FH will lift it. I think Im gonna stop worrying about traditions from this point on because after thinking about it, If I really worried about traditions or whats right or wrong, Id probably be a virgin! Geeze, I guess we'd all be virgins!

4amwhispers Posts : 6 Registered: 4/26/06
Posted: May 4, 2006 1:44 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

The veil can be traced back to Roman times when it was a complete head to toe cover. In a custom dating back to arranged marriages, the groom's family very rarely let him see the bride prior to the ceremony. The groom if displeased with the brides looks may have refused to marry her.
Only after completion of the wedding ceremony was the groom permitted to lift the veil and see his bride for the first time.

Since your marriage wasn't arranged, you can really wear it either way!

totobride Posts : 641 Registered: 3/30/06
Posted: May 4, 2006 2:03 PM Go to message in response to: 4amwhispers

Wow!  I never knew that!  Thanks for sharing, 4amwhispers

Tabbygirl Posts : 342 Registered: 3/28/06
Posted: May 4, 2006 7:35 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I've also read that there was a time when the bride and her bridesmaids all wore a veil AND the same dress to confuse "evil spirits" from trying to mess with the future marriage.   That uniform bridesmaid look has still persisted to this century, I think, stemming from that old superstition, although at least they all don't wear veils anymore.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine