NWR--(sorry) cat-astrophe

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 13
NWR--(sorry) cat-astrophe
Posted: May 3, 2006 2:16 PM

Sorry to post something so very unrelated:

My 18 year old cat was diagnosed with cancer on Monday, and it's very aggressive.  For those of you who read my posts, you know that I'm on disability waiting for back surgery--so I'm home with her all day.  I've had her since I was ten.  She's lived with me all over the country, and even lived in my dorm (illegally, of course).  I can't imagine what I'm gonna do without her.

The vet bills are skyrocketing--but, for once in my life, thank God, I have the money to pay them.  And it just doesn't matter because we're still losing her. 

I'm about to take her in to be hospitalized for the third time this week.  And I'm just so upset about it.  My husband is great about it--but neither of us can stop crying.  If any of you guys have any experience with this sort of thing, advice, or just anything to say, I'd sure appreciate it. 

Her pics are up on my myspace page:  www.myspace.com/ekimmel

Re: NWR--(sorry) cat-astrophe
Posted: May 3, 2006 2:49 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Im very sorry for you. I have been through cancer many times with pets, on both sides. My previous pets have had lymphoma, and hemangiosarcoma, I just diagnosed my current cat 2 weeks ago(very distressing, he's literally my best friend) and Im working up my 12 year old dog right now as well. Ive also been on the diagnostic end of it as Ive been in the animal medicine field for over 12 years.

I usually dont like to discuss my job, since this is my free time, but any questions you may have feel free to PM me, and i will do my best to answer them or if you just want to vent...

Posted: May 3, 2006 3:24 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I'm sorry about your kitty.  We lost our cat of 10 years suddenly the day before Thanksgiving this past year.  He crashed (major organ failure) on Tuesday nightand died at the vets office the next morning.

It's hard to watch your pet (they are family members) when they are like that.  My heart goes out to you.  I know how you are feeling and what you are going through.  Big hugs.

Posted: May 3, 2006 4:00 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

fritz- I am sooo sorry you have to go through this. It is a horrible thing as a pet owner to have to deal with the loss of a pet. I have had one cat who had cancer a few years ago along with having a dog many years ago that had muscle cancer. So I do really understand how hard this must be on you. Are you contemplating chemo? We did that with my Tony (dog) and he lived for two years after the initial diagnosis, but it was really horrible to see him deteriorate. With Alexander (cat), his was so far along that we decided to just put him down- it was hard though also because we ended up putting him down at the same time we put down two other pets (both dogs- Honey had advanced diabetes that we were unable to control, and Mike had advanced grandmaul seizures and the med's had distroyed his kidneys).

Just remember that any choice you make it is going to hurt. However, if you do decide to put her down remember that she will no longer be dealing with the pain brought on by both age and the cancer.

I am always here if you need to talk!

Posted: May 3, 2006 4:47 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Hi Frita,

I am so sorry to hear about your cat. :( I havent dealt with cancer with pets.  But I did have a dog who lived until he was 19years old and we had to put him down because he was really starting to break down.  I know the feeling of "what will i do without my best friend" My dog was my best friend and it killed me that we had to put him down.  

However, please please please keep this in mind with your kitty: Putting a sick/hurt/elderly animal down is the most selfless and loving act a pet owner can do.  When you make that decision, and it is a VERY hard to decision, you are sparing your animal from needless pain and that is the most loving thing anyone can do for an animal.  Keep in mind the quality of life for the animal and put yourself in their "paws"~ would you want to do through all the treatments, sickness, poking and prodding that comes along with an illness? 

I am in no way telling you to put her down. I just want you to keep these things in mind.  YOU are the only one who knows the answers to these questions and YOU are the one who knows her/ him best.  Its a horrible thing for the pet owner to go through because you feel like an exicutioner, but its the most loving thing you can do.  Remeber your animal looks to you for love and comfort.

If you ever need a shoulder to cry on..... I have two :)  

Posted: May 3, 2006 5:17 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I'm sorry that your cat is sick!  I don't have any advice or experience, but I just wanted to add my support. 

Posted: May 3, 2006 5:41 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I'm very sorry to hear about your cat. Last Thursday we had to put my chihuahua down and he was 15 years old. I was so young when we got him. It was such an emotional experience but we didn't want him to suffer just so we can still have him around. It wouldn't be fair. My mom gave me his bed and I have it in the living room of my apt. Even if my cats don't use it I can't get rid of that bed. We're all here if you need more support.

Posted: May 3, 2006 6:12 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I'm so sorry to hear about your kitty! My kitty has renal insufficiency (her kidneys aren't as efficient as they should be), so I have to give her IV fluids under her skin every day. Plus she gets a little pukey if I don't give her tagament every day. I'm always taking her to the vet for urine and blood tests and it's absolutely heartbreaking to have to do that. She definitely has a lot of time left, but I spend so much time agonizing over her being so sick and skinny (only 5.3 lbs!) that I cry a lot too. I always ask the doctor to make sure she's not in any pain, because I don't want to keep her alive and suffering for my sake, and she's doing ok for now. My thoughts are with you and your kitty, let me know if there's anything I can do from here. 

Posted: May 3, 2006 7:21 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Thank you so much, guys.  I'm so sorry for those of you who have been through this or are going through it now.  We took our cat back to the vet for fluids to get her kidneys flushed out and for a blood transfusion to try to restore her red blood cell count.  They said it would make her more comfortable and build up her strength.  I just want her home with us. 

We had chosen the chemo route--the vet said it's not so bad in cats but that it might not work.  Now, she's too weak to go there.  So, we're gonna build her up the best we can and then consider a dose of chemo.  If she's not up for it, we're gonna cook for her and love her and do our best to be sure her pain is controlled. 

I knew we wouldn't have her forever.  But you're never ready for it, you know? 

Posted: May 4, 2006 10:19 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

I am so sorry to hear about your kitty.  Yesterday my FI had to take our kitty to the vet. She swallowed a piece of one of her toys.  So she is in rough shape right now, if the piece doesn't pass, tomorrow she has to go through surgery. Its scary, she is only 5 months old. It makes me so sad to see her so sick. She barely moves or eats. Thankfully she isn't in pain with the medication she has now.

Posted: May 4, 2006 6:04 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I'm so sorry about your kitty.

The only advice I can offer to you is the advice a former vet gave us---That it's time to put a pet down when the pet is no longer enjoying life.

BirdLover Posts : 2,834 Registered: 3/30/06
Posted: May 4, 2006 6:07 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Hey Honey,

My cat of 13 years got cancer and in a few weeks, we had to have him put to sleep (just because of the location, he couldn't eat and was basically starving to death).  So I KNOW how hard this is.  Lucky you that you have had 18 whole years!!!  Anyway...I just wanted you to know that I understand and am sympathetic and am praying for you!

Posted: May 5, 2006 10:09 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

That is so awful!  A dying cat, and vet stuff on top of that!  I have a 16 year old cat who is dying.  But, I am hoping she will continue to be pain-free until then.  She has been an indoor cat.  She was technically a previous boyfriend's but he let me keep her.  His doing that made the breakup go so much easier because we stopped fighting over the stuff, since I didn't really care, I had my Sasse kitty.  Funny thing is, we ended up with a fair division of stuff.  Anyway, Several years ago she got feline Lupus.  It manifasted externally, instead of internally.  Which was a good thing.  She would get these growths around her mouth and on her feet.  Whenever she got them, I'd take her into the vet to get them removed.  Except for when she first got it, she has seemed like her normal self.  Then she got a tumor on the back of her tongue.  The vet said she couldn't remove it without removing her tongue, and eventually it will kill her.  Now, she makes weird snoring noises, and awake she occasionally sounds like one of those things you use to blow air on a fire.  I am just trying to enjoy my time with her.  I don't want her to be in pain, so she is on a 'death watch', which sucks, but it is better than the alternative. 

Posted: May 5, 2006 1:25 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I'm so sorry for your situation.  I'm the same way, though.  As long as we can keep her out of pain, I'm not euthanizing her.  I'm not rich, but I've got the money to pay vet bills for a long time--(my wedding was last October, thank God)--so we're gonna try to keep this at bay.  

My husband and I are supposed to get her back tonight.  She's eating fine and they've flushed her kidneys and have given her a blood transfusion.  We've been visiting her twice a day, and she looks really good.  I'm taking her in to see a holistic vet next week--we're gonna try whatever there is to try (as long as her quality of life is good). 

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine