Bargaining?

Online Users: 1,331 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 11

Emerald928 Posts : 155 Registered: 3/31/06
Bargaining?
Posted: May 1, 2006 5:41 PM

Alright, so I posted something similar on this already, but I am just curious as to whether you can bargain down the price of an engagement ring...FH has run into some money troubles, and can't afford my ring, unless the price can come down. I am willing to wait for it, but at the same time, it would be great to have it at a cheaper price. Has anyone's FH done this? I just don't know if you can, or if it's appropriate. I'm just not sure, and neither is he. (PS, the ring is at Jared, so I'll take any comments on them too)

Re: Bargaining?
Posted: May 1, 2006 5:49 PM Go to message in response to: Emerald928

You bet it's appropriate!  I don't know anything about Jared's--but there are books out there on how to bargain for an engagement ring.  My husband definitely bargained for my ring--but he had the luxury to go wherever he wanted and get whatever he wanted (he picked it out).  

I don't know what he paid for my ring, but when we had to get it evaluated for insurance purposes, he said, "Don't get mad.  I didn't pay anywhere near that.

Posted: May 1, 2006 8:05 PM Go to message in response to: Emerald928

I think you can bargain for any big-ticket item. Like with a house, or a car.

Posted: May 1, 2006 8:21 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

dont go to the mall!!!! (or other chains for that matter) chains are required to make a certain percentage over cost. private jewelers are not and have more bargaining power. go to a private jeweler and speak to the owner. that is how you get a good deal. my ring independantly appraised %40 over cost!!!!

Posted: May 2, 2006 10:55 AM Go to message in response to: Emerald928

Is there anyway you can have the same ring made?  My fh is doing this and it is sooo much cheaper.  Of course, in our case, we designed a ring together.  Also, the platinum markup is a lot less.  If the stone is largish buy it from a wholesaler.  In general, the big stores are a rip-off. 

Posted: May 2, 2006 12:05 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

As for an engagement ring, Im not sure b/c I wasnt with my FH when he got it, but for our wedding rings, I went to the malI and found the one I really loved and purposely showed excitement to the jeweler, I then told her that I wanted to look at other places to "compare", key word, I came back like 1 hour later and flat out said,"OK I found another ring I really liked, that was somewhatr cheaper, Would you give this ring to me for that price, if so Ill take it!" She said yes, and It was about $130 less than it was originally marked and I didnt have to pay the tax!. Never pay full price, remember they get comission and also have to meet a quota many times, my friend is a jeweler at Burdines. I do agree though, you can probably get it cheaper from a private individual since they can work with you more on the price.

Emerald928 Posts : 155 Registered: 3/31/06
Posted: May 2, 2006 4:33 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I really appreciate your advice...but we're still stuck. The ring I want is $2,200 without tax and stuff. The band is $700, so that makes the diamond $1,500. I've looked on certain buying guide websites, and they said for the diamond I want, size, clarity, color, etc., (emerald, VVS2, G, .65 ct.) that the diamond alone would cost $2100. I think we're being a good deal, and I'm hoping that bargaining would even bring it down $200 or so.

Posted: May 2, 2006 4:50 PM Go to message in response to: Emerald928

Worst thing that can happen is have the store tell you no. It won't hurt to try. I would also check other jewelers in town to see what they have. I do understand that FH is having money trouble, would it help you get your ring faster if you also made payments on it? I fell in love with something non traditional, that suits me, and it was over the amount that FH thought a ring should cost, our solution was for me to chip in here to get what I wanted. Since we already own a house together, we call it the lifetime loan, heheheh.

Posted: May 2, 2006 7:05 PM Go to message in response to: Emerald928

You might as well try bargaining with the chain store.  A few years ago, I was listening to a small store owner complain about haggling on the radio--he was like "Would you try that crap at Best Buy?"  I had to call and rat my husband (then boyfriend) out--I had actually seen that man haggle the Best Buy manager down about $40 on an MP3 player. 

He also haggled the Mattress King guy down to almost cost.  I don't wanna be anywhere near him when he does this--and he's forbidden to even broach the topic in a clothing store--but he really is a sight to behold. 

So, go for it!

Posted: May 2, 2006 7:41 PM Go to message in response to: Emerald928

Well, here are my thoughts on the situation...

If your FH has already discussed the price with the salesperson then you may not have much of a choice (chances are he knew what it was going to cost when he ordered it...). I mean, once he committed to buying the ring for a certain price, it's kind of a done deal from a sales perspective. You may be able to work something out with them still though, like my FH was able to make payments on my ring until it was paid off completely.

Posted: May 3, 2006 9:31 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

I personally think e-rings are overrated, and I made hubby promise to never get me one (or at least not for a long time).  We have matching bands, but I just didn't want a diamond.  It's one of those things that other people always find odd, but I was willing to explain that we (at the time) had 2 years of college left, had plans to study abroad together, and were planning to have children as soon as we graduated.  Anyway, lots of people are strapped for money when they first get married, and you can always get a ring later.  

Posted: May 3, 2006 12:58 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I didn't have to have the biggest rock on the block or anything, but I'm old-fashioned.  I look at an engagement ring as a sign that you're prepared to take on the financial responsibilities of marriage.  There are other ways to show this, for sure, but I had no problem accepting a diamond. 

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine