Traditions???

Online Users: 1,332 guest(s), 2 user(s). Replies: 10
Traditions???
Posted: May 2, 2006 3:32 PM

I am about to become engaged and neither one of us has a clue what to do...mainly about rings. I am not a fancy glitzy person so no big diamonds here please. But of course he doesn't know what to get me either. Is it really weird if we go together and pick out my engagement ring? How do most people decide on this? What do we do if I want a ring that doesn't go with a band?

Re: Traditions???
Posted: May 2, 2006 6:35 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I went looking w/ my FH. In fact the ring I picked was a solitare w/ a band but we decided we didnt want to do it that was so we took the idea and look to a place and had it designed and customized so that it looked the same only better and was one peice. That way we got to pick out all the stones instead of going w/ the preset ones that most commercialized places have. It was actually cheaper that way suprisingly. I also decided that since we did it the exact way I wanted it I will only have one ring. My ring is currently my engagment ring but I will give it back to him and it will become my wedding ring too.

Christmasbride06 Posts : 81 Registered: 3/30/06
Posted: May 2, 2006 7:50 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Well, my FH and I didn't go pick out my ring, but we did go to a few stores for him to get ideas of what I like and he went back later and made the final decision. It's perfectly okay to go together and look at rings...if you don't feel right about him buying it with you there, you can give him some ideas(and get some yourself since you're not sure what you like) and he can go back later and make the final decision and surprise you with it sometime. Once he has some ideas of what you like, he'll be able to pick out one you'll love. Most places can make a wedding band to match any engagement ring, but most come with a matching band, whether it's at the store or not. My wedding band will have to be made to match my engagement ring (it has baguettes on each side so my wedding band will have the same size baguettes all the way around it. The store doesn't keep it in stock so you have to just have it made. Don't worry, go look together and you'll find so many you love that you'll have too many to choose from! Good luck!!

Posted: May 3, 2006 11:19 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

We did not go ring shopping together.  Through conversations we've had over the past years, he knew what I wanted... a basic solitaire with no side stones.  Also, I didn't want anything really big because it just isn't my personality - plus I didn't want him dropping a ton of cash.  So, he bought the ring he thought I would like & he was 110% right - a 1/2 carat solitaire w/a gold band.  He did his research on the 4c's and he got the sparkliest (is that even a word???) ring I've ever seen.  I love my ring & it's exactly what I wanted. 

Posted: May 7, 2006 12:07 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

Thanks so much from all of you! We went looking together and although it was tough with so many choices we picked a few at one store for him to go back and make the final decision then we went to different store just to see if we could get any more ideas and the wonderful lady who helped us showed me a ring that she said wasn't really want I said I wanted but she wanted me to look at it anyway and WOW! I just looked at my FH and we both knew it was perfect I had no desire to look at any others. It even has a band that matches perfectly and he can get a similar style for his band which is what we wanted originally but hadn't worked out till then. Now all I have to do is wait for him to pop the question. Thanks again!

MrsC Posts : 385 Registered: 4/7/06
Posted: May 27, 2006 6:29 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

We are very classic loving people... We like old cars, vintage architecture, old clothing, etc.  So when it came to buying a ring, FH surprised me with a vintage ring.  It is about 60 years old.  The stones are smaller than todays rings and believe it or not, but my ring has more sparkle than a newer one.  (I guess it's the filigree and old style of cutting stones..?)  Anyways, if you don't like big and want something original, that might be an option. Smile

Posted: May 29, 2006 5:55 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

My fiance talked about marriega before I was ready to, so when we were looking around in a jewelry store, and I picked out a pretty engagement ring setting, that was pretty much a go-ahead to propose when he was ready. He chose the diamond, and bought it when he was ready.

A lot of jewelry stores will sell you the diamond itself, and set it in prongs on a simple band, so that when you get engaged, you have it on a ring, but then you can come into the store and put your diamond in the setting you want.  That way you arent stuck with something you hate, and he isn't put under too much pressure to choose.

Also, if you decide on a ring that doesn't fit with a band, I have seen a lot owomen use their engagemnt ring as the band, and only have one, not two rings.  Or if you have enough money, you can have a band custom made to work with the ring.

Hope that helps!

Posted: May 31, 2006 10:01 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

I'm also about to become engaged! Congrats! I'm not a fancy person either! The basic solitare/band is what I want, and him knowing I'm not a fancy girl took it upon himself to work that out of me. We went shopping and browsing the other day and he picked out a 1/2ct and I tried it on.. my problem is that he wants to get me a larger diamond lol. Most women complain that their men get a small diamond, I've got the opposite problem I want the smaller one. But we went to the 3/4ct and it was almost the same.. so hopefully he'll go with the smaller & CHEAPER one since you cant tell THAT much of a difference!

Good luck and congrats again!

Soon To Be Bride!

Posted: May 31, 2006 10:10 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

FH would have gotten me a bigger diamond as well but he got what I wanted.  All I wanted (and got) was a 1/2 carat solitaire....nothing fancy, no side stones, etc.  My diamond looks huge though.  He did spend a little extra to get a "good" diamond so it sparkles from across the room. 

Posted: Jun 26, 2006 5:48 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

its sweet when he picks it out but all us brides know that we wouldnt mind picking it out how about getting ads or looking on line a pick a few that youlike and have your fh make the final pick good luck
nt.png

Posted: Jul 16, 2006 1:56 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

My fiance and I went together to look at rings months ago.  I'm not a real flashy person either, and he was suprised when I picked out just a simple solitaire with a band.  He was pushing me toward something fancier, but that's just not me.  Besides, with a plain solitaire, you can dress it up with different wraps and just have fun with it.  He proposed with exactly what I wanted, a 1/2 carat solitaire with a plain gold band.  It is beautiful, it sparkles, and it's perfect for me.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine