name conundrum

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 22

BirdLover Posts : 2,834 Registered: 3/30/06
Re: name conundrum
Posted: Apr 28, 2006 8:05 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I have two middle names, so I don't want to hypenate mine, but I don't really want to change it either.  It's the one link that I feel I have to my paternal grandparents (not blood related, cos dad is adopted)

My plan is to legally keep my name, but socially go by my fh's.  That way, we can still be 'Mr and Mrs X".  My cousin's wife kept her maiden name and my family complains at having to write "Mr. X and Ms. v" on letters...big deal rolls eyes, but this is my plan anyway just to make it easier.

Posted: Apr 28, 2006 9:27 PM Go to message in response to: BirdLover

That's what I did.  I may eventually change it--but I'm not into it right now.  I like my name--and getting married didn't mean I had to change it.  Simple as it may sound, figuring out that last part was a real epiphany for me.

MrsDupont Posts : 1,574 Registered: 4/14/06
Posted: Apr 29, 2006 11:22 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

A lady at work, she has kept her name, her husband kept his name but their son, has her last name as his middle name and his dads last name.

I think thats awesome

Posted: May 1, 2006 3:01 PM Go to message in response to: MrsDupont

My FH's mom kept her maiden name, and his ( and his brothers) middle name is her last name. I actaully really like it this way, because FH's grandmother was remarried after her 1st husband, FH's grandfather, died, so I will be the first Mrs. F in the family for about 40 years :) Also, calling me Mrs. F won't be as weird, since that isn't his mom.  My parents (especially my mom) were really sad that i wasn't keeping my name, but I love his last name, and I will be so happy to be Mr. and Mrs F :)

aviatrix Posts : 39 Registered: 3/31/06
Posted: May 2, 2006 4:05 PM Go to message in response to: aec7c

Wow!  That's so sweet of your FH to want to take your name!

I really need to talk to mine about this.  At first I thought I would just change to his, no big deal, but now I'm not so sure about it.  I'm thinking I might just add his name to the end of mine, making my current last name into a second middle name.  I don't know what I'll do though.  Because of my job it might be a real pain to change it at all, but its been done before.

Posted: May 4, 2006 3:40 PM Go to message in response to: aviatrix

I don't want to change my last name but fh is insisting on it. I love my last name it's special to me. My dad adopted me when I was five and gave me his last name, I don't want to give that up, I would even be willing to hyphenate but he wants nothing of it. So I may have to make my last name my second middle name. I didn't think of that before but that would work. I'll run it by him.

BirdLover Posts : 2,834 Registered: 3/30/06
Posted: May 4, 2006 5:52 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Cherish, I hope you don't mind me mentioning this, but I think that sounds awfully controlling of your FH.  Does he understand how much it means to you?  Maybe he doesn't?

If you want to keep it, keep it.  Why not do the thing where you legally keep your last name, but socially go by his? Otherway, if it's important to you, keep it somehow - it's your choice too!

Posted: May 5, 2006 11:33 PM Go to message in response to: aec7c

That is so awsome of your FH!  I haven't wanted to change my name either...it is a simple name, easy to pronounce and spell...and it's me.  I grew up with it and it's my name. FH has a wierd name that is always mispronounced, but he is so proud of it.  He is really connected with his dad, and apperently the name is passed down from some ancient viking line or smth...anyway it's really important to him that his wife have his name, but I am still unsure .

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine