Big Love

Online Users: 1,255 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 15
Big Love
Posted: Apr 17, 2006 9:23 PM

Anybody been watching "Big Love" on HBO?  I was a big Six Feet Under fan, and I'm startin' to like this one too--the pilot sucked--but it's gettin' good.

Re: Big Love
Posted: Apr 17, 2006 9:38 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I'm watching it!  It is getting good!

Posted: Apr 17, 2006 9:46 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I got sucked in too!  (I'm a Soprano's addict) and it's on right after.  Missed last night's episode, but hope to catch it tomorrow.

Very interesting show!

Posted: Apr 17, 2006 10:07 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Glad I'm not the only one.  I've liked Chloe Sevigny since she was a Sassy intern. 

Stupid On Demand.  Last night's goodies aren't up yet.  And, yeah, Sopranos is surprisingly decent again.  Yay!

Posted: Apr 17, 2006 10:08 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I haven't had a chance to watch the show - anyone able to provide a synopsis?

The Sopranos had me rolling last night though - those men are just goofballs.

Posted: Apr 17, 2006 10:28 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

So, feel free to add to this or change it, guys:

Guy is raised in polygamist sect on a compound in Utah.  His dad used to be really important in this sect, but another guy pushed his dad out, and now the family is poor.  Guy got dropped off in the big city as a young man.

Guy was married to pretty lady his own age. They had three (?) kids.  Pretty lady got cancer and guy wanted more kids.  Pretty lady and guy agreed he could take another wife.  Guy also needed a business boost.

Guy marries second wife, whose dad is the aforementioned man who pushed Guy's dad out of sect.  Guy gets loan from girl's dad and opens Home Depot-esque store. He has to kick a percentage of his profits up to wife no. 2's dad.

Wife no. 2 has kids.  Guy is interested in the family's babysitter.  She becomes wife No.3.  Has kids. 

Second wife has serious spending problem and is in mucho credit card debt (secretly).  Wife No. 3 is making friends with all the neighbors and the family is afraid the neighbors are gonna find out they practice polygamy (which is against the law). Wife No. 1 takes a full-time teaching job. 

Guy opens second store and doesn't kick up the appropriate percentage to Wife No. 2's father.  He's pissed.  And violent and scary--is trying to scare guy to hand over the money.  The guy thinks he's crafty and turns Wife No. 2's Dad over to the authorities for polygamy and shady business deals.

So, that's pretty much what's going on--the acting is good.  And the show really draws you in.  Sorry if this makes no sense.

Posted: Apr 17, 2006 11:05 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

That sounds about right!  I think its really interesting so far.  My FH watches it too and he's come to the conclusion that polygamy does not look like fun .  Lots of drama!  The family is trying to fit into the regular world in Utah, but it still seems to be heavily influenced by the Mormon religion.  Any ladies here Mormon that watch the show?  I'd love to hear what they think of it. 

Posted: Apr 20, 2006 10:23 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

I am a Mormon and to be honest that show disgusts me. It is an insult to our beliefs. Mormons do not practice polygamy, it is not allowed. Of course, everyone has free will, but should a Mormon chosse this path, they will be excommunicated.

I love how HBO has no problem insulting Mormons, but they recently pulled a show that makes fun of a man who calims to see God. iIf this were the Catholics, the Baptists, or the Pentacostals being mocked, there would be an uproar, and this pathetic excuse for a show would haev been cancelled.

Emily and Jon

Posted: Apr 20, 2006 10:35 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

WOW!!! That is crazy!! I have personally never watched the show, cause I never really knew what it was about. (I mostly stick to The Sopranos, which I only picked up about a year ago. Was, still am, a HUGE Sex and the City fan.) Thanks for the breakdown Fritz. That is just too weird. But now I think I may actually tune in to watch!

Posted: Apr 20, 2006 11:12 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

Sorry, I wasn't trying to start a "let's fight about religion (again)" thread. 

It doesn't sound like you've seen Big Love--which is no biggie, it also doesn't sound like you're their demographic.    I don't really have a stake in whether you like the show or not--but just so you know, they're not Mormons--and they spend a lot of their time trying to hide their lifestyle from LDS folks and also the neighbors.  I think the story is that before they decided to do the polygamy thing, they were LDS--and the first wife misses the church.  Again, they hammer home that she can't be a part of it because of her lifestyle.

HBO's shows aren't ever terribly realistic--that's why I think they're fun to watch.  I mean, really, do you think Sex and the City accurately reflected the lives of single professional women living in New York? And the Sopranos?  Good Lord.  What's so great about them, at least to me, is that they put their characters in these unbelievable situations and they're still relatable. 

Big Love has incredible acting, and it's interesting (except for the pilot, which is watch-paint-dry boring)--but it's definitely not for everyone.  I'll tell you one thing, though, the fit the Mormons threw about the show gave it a bunch of free publicity.  Definitely more than HBO ever would have spent.

Posted: Apr 20, 2006 11:21 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

Calm down Emily, it's just a fictional television show, and the beauty of it is that you have free will to choose not to watch, just like I have free will to choose to watch.

Well, if you recall, there was a show on last year called Book of Daniel that got a bunch of people's panties in a wad, and it was cancelled. 

This country was founded on the principles of freedom of speech, and I agree to disagree with you that the show should be cancelled.  It's entertainment, it's funny, and if you don't like it, don't watch it. 

MrsDupont Posts : 1,574 Registered: 4/14/06
Posted: Apr 20, 2006 1:56 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I love to watch Big Love...

I'm a huge Soprano's fan, and was a Six feet under lover, and i cant wait for Elizabeth I to start.

Big Love is a great show! I'm glad its on.

Posted: Apr 20, 2006 5:42 PM Go to message in response to: MrsDupont

I LOVE this show, I was so glad it came on. Although it can never surpass 6 feet under or Carnivale in my mind(SO MAD carnivale was canceled) It makes sunday nights alittle bearable now!

Posted: Apr 21, 2006 11:30 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I was wondering what people of Mormon faith thought of the show, thanks for sharing your view.  Just an FYI, they bring up multiple times that mormons do not approve of polygamy and they make a very clear separation between those who believe in it and those who don't. 

Posted: Apr 22, 2006 12:22 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

MrsSmalle I have to jump in with everyone else in saying you should watch the show before you assume it is insulting toward Mormons.  I personally am not a big fan of any organized religion, but I know how touchy the subject can be for some people, and understandably so.  They make very clear that it is unacceptable to Mormons to practice polygamy.  One of the biggest parts of the show is them trying to hide it from everyone.  If it upsets you, then don't watch it, but I hope you know that they make very certain to differentiate the characters from the Mormon faith.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine