my puppy died

Online Users: 1,346 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 10
my puppy died
Posted: Apr 15, 2006 4:58 PM

i am so upset.  i had a 4 month old maltipoo, Rocky...my mom came and picked him up last saturday to keep him while we went on vacation, and she called me sunday and told me that he died.  the vet said he went into a diabetic coma.  she said he was playing too hard (my mom has a puppy too and they loved to play together) and got too excited, i guess didnt get enough food and water and collapsed.  has anyone ever heard of this?  i hadnt, but i guess its one of those freak things.  but i really didnt miss him too much on vacation, because he wasnt supposed to be there, but now that we are back i am so upset cause he's supposed to be here happy and playing!

Re: my puppy died
Posted: Apr 15, 2006 5:34 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Ok, I'm a registered veterinary technician. What your puppy died from was a condition called hypogylcemia. It's very common in very small dogs and pups. Is what happens is that they need to eat alot more than a larger dog does to keep their glucose levels from dropping to low, once that happens they need alot and I mean alot of care. They have to be force fed, or even a feeding tube put in. However, if they get immediate care alot of them can pull through it, but it does take some time for them to recover. It can also be a recurring condition if not controlled. 

Posted: Apr 15, 2006 6:36 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Oh, sweetie, I am so sorry. My own dog died 3 weeks ago today, so I completely understand where you're coming from. It really hurts, especially when he was so young.  A huge hug from me. I know you won't feel better for awhile, but I hope you do. Every day helps!

Posted: Apr 16, 2006 1:25 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

Aww...I'm really sorry to hear that.  hugs!

Posted: Apr 16, 2006 10:06 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

I'm so sorry to hear about your puppy.  I have a dog of my own and I don't know what I'd do without him.  We had a scare when he was just a pup - he was born with a hernia and one night we thought it had burst.  Very scary.  I didn't know that it could be so serious when puppies "forget" to eat and drink.  We have that problem with Frankie some days.  Thank you for bringing this to my attention.  Again, I'm so sorry for your loss hug

Posted: Apr 16, 2006 11:32 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

I'm sorry, hon.  Big hugs!

Posted: Apr 16, 2006 10:16 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

so sorry to hear about your puppy. my dog died three weeks ago and i bawled for days. we had him cremated and when i went to pick up his ashes on thursday, i burst out crying right on the spot at the vets. we are both so devestated since he was 10 years old and my fiance had had him since he was a pup. what i can say is that each day does get slowly better. we still miss him so much, but at least he's not in pain anymore. hang in there. take care of yourself.

Posted: Apr 17, 2006 1:57 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

i'm so sorry for you....my cat was hit by a car when i was away at school out of state....i was devastated cuz  i would never get to see him again so i know how you feel....pets are like family members and its tough to lose one. i now have a year old dachshund (weiner dog) and i don't know whats going to happen when she gets old and i lose her

big hugs

NatSeptBride Posts : 888 Registered: 3/28/06
Posted: Apr 17, 2006 9:40 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

I'm so so sorry that you lost your puppy.  We have 3 dogs that we treat like our children, as do our family and friends.  I couldn't imagine losing one.  So sorry ..

Posted: Apr 17, 2006 4:53 PM Go to message in response to: NatSeptBride

Im so sorry that your dog died. How sad. It will take time but you will be able to move on. Sorry.

Posted: Apr 17, 2006 5:01 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I lost my beloved kitty the day before Thanksgiving this past year, so I know how hard this is for you.  Mourn your little darling.

It does take time, but you will be able to move forward.  I still miss the little bugger, but know he's in kitty heaven, lying on a very expensive Turkish rug in a ray of warm sunshine.

Big hugs

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine