article on length of dating and success of marriage

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 6
article on length of dating and success of marriage
Posted: Apr 2, 2006 1:03 AM

Hi Ladies. Here is an interesting article on MSN about whether the length that you dated before getting married predicts whether your marriage will last.
http://lifestyle.msn.com/Relationships/CouplesandMarriage/ArticleIV2.aspx?cp-documentid=371971>1=7996

Megan

newsjunkie Posts : 3,417 Registered: 3/30/06
Re: article on length of dating and success of marriage
Posted: Apr 2, 2006 11:35 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

Interesting... we dated for one year and two days before we got engaged so I guess that makes us pretty safe! Of course, I knew he was THE ONE after just a month and we started talking about marriage after 4 months... but he is very cautious and level-headed so we waited! :) Glad one of us is...

Posted: Apr 2, 2006 12:07 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

We dated for 5 years so it says we are quickest to divorce, however if we would have gotten engaged or married after 1 year we would have only been 17!!!! haha, you just never know and I don't think anyone can predict it!

littlefirefli Posts : 259 Registered: 3/30/06
Posted: Apr 2, 2006 2:00 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Interesting artical, but I don't think it applies to my fh and me. Technially he proprosed to me on our first date, and I did say yes. But I was only 16 and we wear just messing around. Now, 10 years later we are engaged. But The thing is we never were afraid of getting married or not going out nad having fun, we spend most of our time at home with each other. Both of us just felt we were going to be together forever with or without a wedding. We just got engaged for selfish reasons (a party and presents!!) and to shut our families up, they just felt we had to get married, that it would some how make us a "real" couple. I was even telling my fh last night that I would have been happy spending the rest of my life just like we are now, together, and that I didn't really need a wedding for that.

Message was edited by:
littlefirefli

Posted: Apr 3, 2006 12:29 AM Go to message in response to: littlefirefli

I've heard this before, and I used to be concerned about it, but that's the easy answer article. Real love comes at so many different paths. FH and I will have been dating for 5 years 1 month, but I would have hated to get married at my impusive 19 years old, which was our one year! For us, to get our college mostly out of the way and grow some equity was very important for us. Then again, my parents got married at 19 and 20 and will be celebrating their 25th in a month. If you feel secure and trusting and share the same goals, I'd say go for it! The most unlikely marriages seem to make it in the world.

Message was edited by:
Mel

Posted: Apr 3, 2006 1:12 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

When we get married, we'll have been dating since senior year in college- so like 4 years, engaged for one. I guess we fall into the 1-3 category. Though I've known Sumner since I was 18, when I dated his older brother! So, I guess it doesn't count.

Posted: Apr 3, 2006 12:50 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Well, according to that article, I'm doomed then. We've been together for almost 16 years! Personally, in MY opinion, it's a bunch of hooey.

FH and I were discussing our length of relationship just this weekend. We have friends who have been married from 2 - 50 years (and some dated for probably less than 3 years), and many of those relationships are on the rocks.

My FH and I have been through better or worse, for richer or poorer, and most recently in sickness and in health. You know what? Our relationship is stronger and more stable than 75% of married couples we know!

I don't feel bad about my decision to wait this long to get married, I don't believe that our marriage is doomed for divorce, and I certainly don't believe everything I read.

It certainly is an interesting article, but at the same time I think that there are so many so-called experts out there looking for a "cause" of divorce. Maybe they are looking in the wrong place?

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine