Courtesy of Josh Brentan
Our wedding is five weeks away, and I am stressed out. Seriously. Still, I've been doing my best to keep it together. Here are five things that are working (so far):
1) Find a happy place. Lately, in the middle of the day when the stresses from work and the wedding collide, I've been taking a moment to visit the websites of the Bali hotels where we'll be honeymooning. I imagine being far, far away, with no cell phone, no vendors, and lots of peace and quiet.
2) Music makes everything better. Whether you're stuffing gift bags or assigning seats, put on some tunes. We assembled our invitations outside on a warm spring evening—we opened some wine, turned the speakers toward the window, and were done in what seemed like no time flat.
3) Put your planning aside. Whether you work out, read a book, or watch a movie, put down the planning binder and do something for yourself. However, if, like my fiancee, Erica, you can't stop yourself from making to-do lists, I'd recommend a planning session at your local bar.
4) Slow and steady wins the race. Instead of tackling everything all at once, make it your goal to tick off just one item everyday. You'll still be making progress, but the list won't take over your life. If you only have two weeks before the big day, however, you'd better get moving.
5) Elope. Don't lie, you know you've thought about it.
—Josh Brentan, The Groom With A View