Be it for an anniversary card, a birthday toast, or your wedding vows, BRIDES magazine offers up six steps to help you better express your feelings.
1) Avoid using cliches. The following are lovely thoughts but not very original: "You are my dream come true." "This is the happiest day of my life." "You are my best friend." "I am the luckiest person in the world." "You are my Prince Charming." "Words cannot express how much I love you."
2) Acknowledge the significance of the occasion. You can make it light and joke about how nervous these events make you, or heavy and express the how important the moment and your loved one are to you.
3) Say something about your relationship. Be specific about a certain time or favorite memory. (Remember: Keep it clean, lest you risk embarrassment for the honoree and yourself!)
4) Mention one thing you particularly love about the person. (Ditto the reminder above.)
5) Bring in a hope for the future, such as growing old together, another year of good fortune, or assured success.
6) Make a promise. Be serious or funny: vow to always be supportive, be proud, or keep them laughing for years to come.