Courtesy of WWD
Wedding-dress shopping making you cuckoo for Cocoa Puffs? Take a break from the big white dresses and set your sights on the red carpet. This awards season, we're loving the fashion do's, and we think they'll inspire any shopping-fatigued bride. Here's a roundup of our top-five favorite looks:
1. After gaining momentum last year, one-shoulder necklines are officially white-hot. From Jennifer Aniston's understated one-shoulder black dress at the Golden Globes to Lea Michele's short, feathery navy blue number at the Grammys, it's a sexy but not racy look.
2. Curvy celebs know that the best way to highlight a figure is to slink into a body-hugging mermaid gown with a dramatically flared skirt. Just ask Heidi Klum, who showed off her postbaby bod at the Golden Globes, and Keri Hilson, who flaunted a champagne-colored version at the Grammys.
3. Bored with white? Walk (subtly) on the edge by donning a pastel- or nude-colored gown. Look to actresses Emily Blunt and Maggie Gyllenhaal, both of whom worked the trend oh-so-well at the Globes. (And brownie points for Maggie, who managed to combine three trends—mermaid, one-shoulder, and nude—without looking like a fashion victim!)
4. Look as if you're floating down the aisle by donning an airy, Grecian-inspired dress like those worn by Golden Globe attendees Mo'Nique (a long, Empire-waisted gold number) and Ginnifer Goodwin (a short purple-hued frock).
5. Add a touch of sparkle to your dress with a strategically placed brooch or brooch-like embellishment. Following this trend at the Screen Actors Guild Awards were Carey Mulligan (simply gorgeous in red Lanvin), Kyra Sedgwick, and Anna Paquin. —Elizabeth Swanson, BRIDES Fashion & Beauty Department