Photo: Michelle Scott Photography
Having a nonreligious wedding doesn't mean you have to write your own vows. If you're looking to take the pressure off yourselves, consider some traditional phrasing — that's also easily customizable — that pledges your love and devotion to each other. Whether you want to go spiritual, make it short and sweet, or celebrate what it is that makes your love special, these traditional wedding vows will get you to that first married kiss.
1. I, (name), commit myself to you, (name of significant other), as (wife/husband) to learn and grow with, to explore and adventure with, to respect you in everything as an equal partner, in the foreknowledge of joy and pain, strength and weariness, direction and doubt, for all the risings and settings of the sun. We tie these knots to symbolize our connection to one another. They represent our trust in each other and our combined strength together.
2. Today, surrounded by the people who love us most, I choose you (name of significant other) to be my partner. I am proud to be your (wife/husband) and to join my life with yours. I vow to always support you, push you, inspire you, and above all, love you, for better or worse, in sickness and in health, for richer or poorer, as long as we both shall live.
3. I, (name) do pledge to you (name of significant other), my love, for as long as we both shall live. What I possess in this world, I give to you. I will keep you and hold you, comfort you and tend to you, protect you and shelter you, for all the days of my life.
4. I, (name), promise to love, honor, and trust (name of significant other) in sickness and in health, in adversity and prosperity, and to be true and loyal as long as we both shall live.
5. I, (name), take you, (name of significant other), as my wedded (wife/husband) from this day forward. I give you my deepest love and devotion. I humbly open my heart to you as a sanctuary of warmth and peace, where you may come and find a refuge of love and strength. I will weep with you in heartache and celebrate life with you in joy. I pledge my heart to you, for all the days of our lives.