After the months spent planning your wedding down to the tiniest of details, doing the same for your honeymoon can start to feel like a chore. Yes, you're planning a fabulous vacation, but just figuring out where to go is a tall order! From boutique hotels to sprawling resort, and cruises to all-inclusives, the options are endless. If you're looking for something off-the-beaten-path, though, look no further than Airbnb. With hosts and properties all over the world, you'll be able to truly immerse yourselves in your honeymoon experience, surrounded by authentic sights and sounds and with a cozy (and private!) retreat waiting for you at the end of the day. We spoke to Chip Conley, Airbnb's Head of Global Hospitality, to get a few tips for making the most of your Airbnb honeymoon. Conley also gave us a peek into the travel site's top 10 most wished-for honeymoon properties. Start planning!
1. Be specific. "Once you've narrowed down your location, use the map function to zero-in on desired neighborhoods and areas of interest," Conley advises. The more specific you are when you're searching, the more likely you'll be to find an Airbnb property that lives up to all of your expectations.
2. Don't forget amenities. "Whatever your needs, use the filters to ensure that the home you choose is right for you," Conley explains.
3. Read the reviews! "Past travelers' reviews will help you determine whether your host meets the travel style you're looking for," says Conley. From a partial-share to a chateau to yourselves, a stocked kitchen to bikes you can use to cruise around town, this will have a major impact on your experience.
4. Get in touch ahead of time. "Your host can make recommendations that will enhance your trip, and will likely know all of the great local spots," Conley says. "Ask questions and use your host as a resource!"
5. Read the house rules. As Conley puts it, "No one likes surprises!" House rules will outline things like whether or not pets are allowed, if the neighborhood has quiet hours, and whether there is parking available.
And now, the top 10 most wished-for honeymoon properties on Airbnb.
Heading to Costa Rica? Kick off your marriage in a handcrafted treehouse in the Bio Thermales natural resort, surrounded by jungle trails and 12 natural hot and cold springs.
Nothing says honeymoon like Hawaii. Built by Animal Planet's Treehouse Masters on the island of Hawai'i, this split-level bungalo is just minutes from Kilauea, a stunning active volcano.
Fall asleep to the sounds of crashing waves at this Balinese cottage on Kealakekua Bay on the Big Island. Nestled beneath a ficus tree and surrounded by a historic village, it's the perfect spot for a quiet, intimate honeymoon getaway.
Be one with nature in this Costa Rican treehouse, with monkeys, sloths, and iguanas right off the porch.
In the heart of Santorini's most famous village, this traditional Greek-style home flaunts crisp white stucco and uninterrupted ocean views.
For 360-degree jungle views, head to this secluded bamboo treehouse, 15 feet up in the canopy on the Big Island of Hawai'i.
Watch the sunrise over the beach in a Balinese surfer village from the comfort of your own Indonesian treehouse, then settle in by the water with fruit fresh from the garden.
Relax and unwind in this remodeled 1930s cottage in the hills above Maui that famously played host to Jimmy Hendrix in the '70s.
Escape the tourists at the famous Seashell House in Isla Mujeres, Mexico, and immerse yourselves in local modern legend.
A traditional fisherman's cave, this stunningly restored property dangles on a cliff in the picturesque village of Oia in Santorini.