Photo: Getty Images
We love a good fancy ponytail. And our current favorite gives new meaning to the term "black-tie appropriate:" low, center-parted, and tied with a black ribbon. We spotted it at Oscar de la Renta's Spring/Summer 2016 show, and not only is it DIY-friendly, but it's totally timeless. "A beautiful, simple style can say so much — it's about the small details," says Redken Creative Director Guido Palau, the hairstylist who created the look. Here's how to do it for your own big day.
3. Create a center part with your fingers, then using a round brush (we love Bumble & Bumble's The Round Brush), blow dry your hair until smooth, lifting hair up at the crown as you go to add volume. ($85, available at Sephora)
4. Gather hair into a low, loose ponytail and secure with a clear elastic.
5. Pull little pieces of hair out of the hairline to create softness around your face.
6. Tie a black ribbon around the elastic. But instead of making two loops and creating a full bow, tie it into a half bow, so that it's a bit loose. "This makes it feel romantic," says Palau. "A little bit of ribbon can change a simple ponytail into something much more poetic."
7. And for the full Oscar de la Renta transformation, finish by swiping on a classic red lipstick, like L'Oréal Paris Color Riche Lip Color in True Red. So easy, yet so pretty. ($6, available at Target)