The Documents You Need to Get Sorted if You Plan to Change Your Last Name Before Your Honeymoon

Documents Needed for a Name Change

Photo: Getty Images

The notion of jetting off on your honeymoon moments after you've you're your marriage is legal is nothing short of romantic, but brides who wish to take their husbands' last name have a bit more work than simply saying "I do." Our etiquette experts weigh in on exactly what documentation brides need to adopt a new last name before setting off into the sunset.

The process of taking your husband's last name varies slightly between regions. However, the fundamental process requires the same five steps. First, brides must secure official copies of their marriage license. Next, the social security administration must be notified so that a new card printed with the bride's new last name may be created. Then, brides must acquire an updated driver's license with their new name. At this point, brides must notify their bank of the name change and secure corresponding cards with their new last name.

See More: Zoe Saldana's Husband Marco Is Happy He Took Her Last Name

In rare circumstances, brides may need to file a petition for name change with their local court, which requires similar documentation. Finally, brides must inform any other relevant businesses or contacts of the switch. This often includes a bride's workplace, landlord, utilities providers, insurance provider, and post office.

Like anything else, you'll want to get this sorted out as soon as you can to avoid any potential hiccups or logistical issues. Once you've settled everything and the essential parties are notified, the honeymoon can truly begin.

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift

Get personalized planning advice, exclusive offers and must-read wedding news.

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from