Photo: Jess & Nate Studios
Perhaps you can't wait for the day you welcome a pink-hued bundle of baby joy into your life. Or maybe you're still not sure whether you ever want to be called Mom and Dad. Either way, the second you slip on an engagement ring, it's everyone from your immediate family to your co-workers will be clamoring with a single question: When do you plan on having kids?
If you're not ready or willing to answer that somewhat intrusive question quite yet, we've got five perfect responses you should have on the ready.
1. "We're not sure. So, how's your move going?"
By quickly steering the conversation away from your family planning — and to something your family member or friend is dying to gab about — you might just escape follow-up questions.
2. "I'd rather not discuss it, but thank you for asking."
Politely but firmly shutting down the conversation from the start sends the right signal without being mean.
See More: 4 Things All Parents Love at Weddings
3. "How long did you and your husband wait to have children?"
Rather than flush with anger over their invasive question, flip the conversation into an interview, learning from another couple's parenting experience.
4. "We're not sure yet, but when we are, you'll be the first to know!"
With this response, you've answered their question and left the door open for them to inquire again — as long as you're OK with that!
5. "Right now, we're focused on practicing making babies!" Don't whip this one out on Grandma — but this is a fun response to give friends that keeps the conversation light and might even give them a laugh.