Legal Requirements for Destination Weddings, Foreign Spouses, and Out-of-State Officiants

Honeymoons & Destination Weddings, Planning Tips

Destination weddings are beyond popular, but before you jet off to say your "I dos" there are a few things you may need to know. And maybe you're not getting hitched in another country, but your spouse is from one. Or, better yet, you have a foreign officiant. All of these scenarios require extra legal steps, which is why we gathered them right here for you!

First thing's first, if you're getting married in a different country you need to look up the legality of it way ahead of time. Some countries, like France, have residency requirements, while others require a certain length of stay or number of witnesses. Before you send off your deposit, consult the tourism board and consulate's site for your wedding destination country of choice and be sure to get everything necessary done pre-wedding.

Next, if you're an American marrying someone from another country, you'll need a slew of documents to make it kosher. Go to the U.S.'s Immigration and Nationalization Service website for information on how to get a visa for a foreign spouse. You'll also want to consult your future Mr. or Mrs.'s embassies office and/or website for documents they'll need. And whatever legal forms you fill out for their foreign home, you'll need to provide English translations stateside.

See more: How to Handle Long-Distance Wedding Planning

Last but not least, if your officiant is from out-of-state, you might need to a Certificate of Authorization from the state where the wedding will happen. Again, check with the local state's government ahead of time to ensure you have everything sorted out before you wed!

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift

Get personalized planning advice, exclusive offers and must-read wedding news.

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from