Photo: Chloe Moore Photography
Two to four weeks before your wedding, you should plans to give your band or DJ some last minute key details, like your must-have music selections, and who should get the mic during toasts. Before you sit down for that final meeting, consult this list of last-minute — but super important — details to go over, and then finalize your music choices with a few selections from our curated playlist of classics and twists!
1. Your 10 most crucial must-plays (and do-not plays). You may not hear every song in your iTunes library, but the band or DJ should get to these.
2. Who's giving a toast and who under no circumstances should be handed a mic. (Provide photos if you can.) If there's a groomsman who's likely to bring up that spring break, the DJ can keep him off the stage.
3. All the major moments you'd like to hit, and which you'd rather skip, with musical specs. In other words, if you want "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun" at your bouquet toss, say so.
3. Any cultural traditions you plan to follow. The bandleader or DJ can budget time for the hora or tea ceremony.
4. The name and number for the day-of contact. Not you! You'll be too busy getting married. Your coordinator (if you have one) or a bridesmaid or groomsman can handle any issues that may arise during setup.
The Perfect Playlist
Take note of our no-fail picks for every moment of your ceremony and reception!
For the Prelude
The Classics: "Jesu Joy of Man's Desiring" by Bach; "Adagio for Strings" by
The Twist: "First Day of My Life" by Bright Eyes
For the Processional
The Classics: "Bridal Chorus" (Here Comes the Bride) by Wagner; "Canon in D" by Pachelbel
The Twist: "Lovers in Japan/Reign of Love" by Coldplay; "In My Life," by The Beatles
For the Interludes
The Classics: "Amazing Grace"; "Claire de Lune" by Debussy
The Twist: "Hymne a l'Amour" by Josh Groban
For the Recessional
The Classic: "Ode to Joy" by Beethoven
The Twist: "Do You Realize??" by The Flaming Lips
For the First Dance
The Classics: "At Last" by Etta James; "L-O-V-E" by Nat King Cole
The Twist: "Lovesong" by Adele
For the Father-Daughter Dance
The Classics: "What a Wonderful World" by Louis Armstrong; "Daughters" by John Mayer
The Twist: "The Luckiest" by Ben Folds
For the Floor Filler
The Classics: "I Wanna Dance With Somebody" by Whitney Houston
The Twist: "Hypnotize" by Notorious B.I.G.