Photo: Getty Images
Ever wonder how it seems like all celebrities look absolutely gorgeous when they step off the plane? We're convinced they must bring their entourage for a touch up right before they touch down. Since your wedding-day glam squad won't be joining you for your honeymoon, we've rounded up a few tips to help you look effortlessly gorgeous on the plane, in the car — or whatever your method of travel may be — so you can start staging perfect Instagram photos right from the beginning of your post-wedding trip.
1. Work with — not against — your natural hair texture. Have curly hair? Don't even try to straighten it. Instead, use a curl-defining cream to create frizz-free, envy-inducing curls. For those with wavy locks, keep a mini bottle of sea salt spray on hand for a quick revitalizer. And if you've been blessed with super-straight hair, arm yourself with dry shampoo in case it gets oily at the roots, which will also keep your hair from falling flat.
2. But keep a (chic) hair tie with you in case of emergencies. And by emergencies, of course, we mean those times when your hair just won't cooperate. "Madewell has these really cute hair ties that have a little charm on them," says makeup artist Anne Kohlhagen. "They look like bracelets, so you can just stick one on your wrist and use it to put up your hair in a chic topknot."
3. It's better to over-moisturize than under — especially if you're flying. Make sure to prep with your favorite lotion and bring hydrating products with you. "Your skin can quickly get dehydrated in the air," Kohlhagen says. "I swear by two Skyn Iceland products for travel: The Artic Face Mist, which doesn't remove makeup, contains a lot of vitamins and has a cooling effect upon contact. The other is actually one I picked up from runway models. They always use the Hydro Cool Firming Eye Gels when they're traveling during fashion month. You just put them underneath your eyes and they help with puffiness and dark circles. They're also really relaxing on the plane!" And if you get a bit shiny along the way, bring oil-blotting papers with you.
4. Makeup-wise, less is more. You don't want to worry about reapplying runny eyeliner, clumpy mascara or smeary lipstick, so this is definitely the time to simplify your makeup routine. "Stick to the basics," Kohlhagen says. "I love Sothy's Teint Satiné foundation. It's really light, dewy, and works with any skin type. It won't get cake-y if you need to reapply. Then just use a sheer pink lipstick, an eyebrow pencil and one coat of mascara." And if your lips get dry? Kohlhagen swears by a small indulgence — Chanel's Hydra Balm — which adds a nice sheen and smells really, really good. (But of course, any lip balm will do the trick.)
5. Bring your own food. The salty snacks offered on the plane or at a rest stop vending machine won't do much but add bloat, so bring cut up fruit and veggies with you. If you're craving something sweet, stock up on Kind bars, which are packed with protein and taste delicious.
6. Load up on water! This might sound super boring, but there's nothing like a huge glass of agua to keep your complexion hydrated. Alternatively, take a few bags of green tea with you and ask for hot water on the plane — it contains anti-inflammatory benefits that will ensure redness is kept at bay during your travels. Oh, and do we need to tell you to stay away from super-drying alcohol? (But if you just can't, at least try to chug water in between glasses of wine, ok?)
7. Plan your travel ensemble in advance. No matter what celebrities say, we're convinced they pre-plan their airport outfits. Staying away from the sweatpants doesn't mean you have to sacrifice comfort. Think Audrey Hepburn chic: Black knit pixie pants, a black lightweight sweater, ballet flats and a pashmina if you get cold. Who knows? You might even get mistaken for a celeb.
8. And don't underestimate the power of scent. This is a romantic occasion, after all. "I use two tiny atomizers from Muji and fill them with daytime and nighttime scents," Kohlhagen says. "A simple detail but it makes a huge difference." We also love these Diptyque roll-ons — so luxe!