Photo: Getty Images
Just a guess here, but we're betting that keeping your skin soft and radiant before your wedding day is on your to-do list ... right? Facials (not too close to the actual date!), a great moisturizer and plenty of sleep help, but so does proper nutrition. Here are five gorgeous-skin foods to add to your shopping list:
1. Corn. Surprising, but true: Corn is rich in a compound called lutein that experts believe may protect your skin from sun damage. Fresh is best, but choose frozen when corn on the cob isn't in season. (And that bowl of popcorn with your movie tonight? Why not!)
2. Salmon. Rich in omega-3 fatty acids, salmon is a good-skin superfood that you should be eating at least once a week, say experts. Not only can it help make your skin more glowy, but recent research also suggests it might even help ward off skin cancer.
3. Tomatoes. Rich in an antioxidant called lycopene, one recent study found that people who ate a few tablespoons of tomato paste daily were better protected from sunburn than those who didn't eat tomatoes. And the protection level was surprising: Tomato eaters experienced about 50 percent less skin-reddening. We say, that's a veggie (er, fruit) that does the job!
4. Green Tea. Loaded with good-for-your-skin antioxidants, beauty experts have long thought of green tea as practically a facial in a cup. Bonus: the caffeine in green tea may help zap pre-cancercous skin cells, keeping you skin-cancer free. Tea time!
5. Strawberries. A win-win: They're delicious and help give you radiant skin. One 2007 study found that vitamin-C-rich foods like strawberries may help ward off age-related dryness and wrinkles and keep skin looking youthful. How so? Vitamin C is a key component in the production of collagen, the protein in the body that helps skin look smooth and supple.