Photo: Alison Conklin Photography
Have you been searching for the perfect first-dance song for your wedding? Finding the right song is probably top-of-mind. You want it to be beautiful, memorable, soulful and an expression of your love for each other. As you search for the melody that's right for you, consider this list of love songs we can't get out of our heads these days:
1. "A Thousand Years" by Christina Perri: This song is beautiful and soulful and it speaks to love that lasts eternally. Play it in a dimly-lit ballroom and your guests will have difficulty catching their breath.
2. "Green Apples" by Chantal Kreviasuk: A gorgeous melody with poetic lyrics, it would be perfect at an outdoor reception on a summer night (especially with a fire burning somewhere in the distance, mirroring the words in the song).
3. "When I'm With You" by Ben Rector: The lyrics say it all and speak to the fact that the two of you are better together (and your wedding guests will see why when this song is played over the speakers).
4. "Hold You in My Arms" Ray LaMontagne: Sultry and searing, this is one of our favorite love songs that will ping the hearts of your guests.
5. "First Day of My Life" by Bright Eyes: Mark the first day of your life together with this beautiful song that's all about love and new beginnings. (Coincidentally we also think it could make a great song to walk down the aisle to before you say "I do!")
6. "Make You Feel My Love" by Adele: Only Adele could take this classic song and make the words even more intensely felt. Just add twinkle lights and you're set for perfection.
7. "Sweet Dream" by Greg Laswell: Short and sweet, we love this melodic, dreamy love song, which is especially perfect for the couple who wants to segue into a faster song afterward.
8. "Into Dust" by Mazzy Star: We're suckers for this entire album, but think this lesser-known track makes a gorgeous first-dance song, especially for smaller, more intimate receptions.
9. "Only Love" by Ben Howard. The perfect tone and deeply touching ... a love song made for the dance floor.
10. "By Your Side" by Sade: So what if this song did make an appearance in that episode of "Sex and the City" when Samantha dances with Richard; we still think it's an ode to utter devotion and complete perfection for brides and grooms.
11. "And Then You" by Greg Laswell: Yes, two Greg Laswell songs on one list (apparently we're that obsessed!). This song is all about finding refuge in your one true love when storms swirl around. Gorgeous.
12. "You Are the Light" by The Innocence Mission: We heard this song for the first time last year and fell in love with its joyful tone and sweet message of love. It would work for a cozy winter wedding, when it's dark outside and your shared love lights up the room.