Photo: Getty Images
Creating special traditions with your husband-to-be is not only fun, but it will bring you closer. Ring in the New Year with these sweet ideas:
1. The kiss: Yes, it's an old-standby, but we're constantly surprised by how many couples don't kiss at the stroke of midnight. We say, drop everything and pucker up! And, the more superstitious among us swear that starting the new year locking lips means more love in the twelve months to come. Whether you believe that or not, grab your guy and land a smooch.
2. Dancing to Auld Lang Syne: It's old fashioned, and the traditional New Year's song that's played at the stroke of midnight around the world, and we think you should dance to it with your husband-to-be (after the kiss, of course). We know couples who dance in the New Year, and, really, how romantic is this?
3. Eating a special meal together: While you may have plans to go to a party with friends in the evening, consider saving New Year's Eve lunch for your sweetie. We love hearing about couples whose tradition is a New Year's Eve brunch or lunch at a favorite special restaurant. What a great way to extend the fun of the day (and a perfect build-up for fireworks later on, if you know what we mean!).
4. Do something (sort of) crazy together: Because laughter and joy are sure fire ways to bring you closer, take a tip from the people of Denmark, and get in on their two fun New Year's Eve traditions that we think your sweetie would love. At the stroke of midnight, Danes are known to break a glass or a plate together to symbolize good luck for a new year. They also stand on chairs, then jump to the ground. We're not entirely sure of the origins of the latter (it may have something to do with leaping away from bad luck), but jumping into your husband's arms? Why not!
5. Open a special bottle: Whether it's wine or champagne, it can be fun to choose a bottle that is somehow meaningful to you and your love (think, the vintage year of your wedding, or a region that is special to the two of you). Cheers!