What Should I Do About My Passport If I'm Legally Changing My Name?

Etiquette, Honeymoons & Destination Weddings
passport for travel etiquette post

Photo: Getty Images

Ready to start the honeymoon planning process but haven't a clue where to begin? Need the inside scoop on throwing a fabulous destination wedding? Whatever jet-setting question you have, Jacqueline Gifford, our resident expert on all things travel, is ready to help!

What should I do about my passport if I'm legally changing my name?

If you're traveling right after the wedding, you should just travel with your old passport in your maiden name. But, be sure to buy all airline tickets for your honeymoon under your maiden name, too—the two must match. For example, when I married Rob back in January of 2008, I changed my maiden name from Neiss to Gifford on all my credit cards, my drivers license, etc. right after the wedding. We were taking our honeymoon cruise in the Baltic that July, but, in order to get a good deal on airfare, we bought the tickets before the wedding. So, my airline ticket was booked under Jacqueline Carole Neiss, and I traveled with my existing passport under my maiden name. As soon as we got back, I sent a certified copy of our marriage certificate in to the State Department and requested a new passport (visit the official site for info on forms and fees) and had my shiny new blue book as "Jacqueline Carole Gifford."

—Jacqueline Gifford

You Might Also Like:
Quiz: Your Perfect Honeymoon Spot
Affordable Island Honeymoons
Honeymoon Itinerary: Australia

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift

Get personalized planning advice, exclusive offers and must-read wedding news.

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com