Huffington Post contributor Sarah Dakar is the beauty director at Sonya Dakar Skincare in Beverly Hills, CA. Here, Dakar shares easy tips for ensuring perfect skin on your wedding day.
On your wedding day, smooth, glowing skin is an absolute must. But that vibrant, flawless, finish found on your face should not stop at the neck—especially if you're in on the top bridal trends and planning to wear a backless, strapless, or short wedding dress. Implementing a full body beauty routine in preparation for your big day can help you appear healthier, more youthful, and even more toned! (And what bride wouldn't want that?) Here, five pre-wedding beauty musts for head-to-toe beautiful skin.
1. Spot treat. Take notice of body blemishes, scars, or extremely dry or rough areas of skin that may take a little more time to amend. The earlier you can address these specific skin problems, the more time you'll have to correct them for your wedding day. If body acne is an issue, consider a sulfur-based spot treatment intended to smooth pimples fast. For graying, rough patches on the elbows, knees, or heels, try a mineral polish containing Dead Sea salts and nourishing essential oils to reinstate evenness to skin. Once you've addressed your more specific skin concerns, you'll have the perfect base for achieving that extra special bridal glow.
2. Slough off lackluster skin. By now, we all know how crucial exfoliation is to keeping our faces looking smooth, bright, and healthy—the same is true of your body! Implementing a full body exfoliating treatment will keep dead, dulling, and dry skin away and reveal a more youthful and glowing appearance. Furthermore, if you do happen to be someone who struggles with occasional or frequent body acne, this extra step can help decongest pore clogging debris and bacteria. Try exfoliating two to three times a week in the shower, and of course, the day of your wedding! Not only will you notice the long-term benefits of smoother, more even-toned skin, but you will also enjoy the immediate effects of improved circulation, which gives the instant appearance of health and vibrancy.
3. Don't neglect other important players. While much of the attention will be on your perfectly polished face, there are a few supporting players worthy of some extra love before the big day. For starters, your hands (particularly the left, ring-wearing one) will draw plenty of stares. Consider investing in a specialized hand treatment formulated to tighten, brighten, and hydrate the delicate skin on your hands. Another important body part to consider: your neck and décolletage, especially if you've opted for a low-cut or strapless wedding dress design. Look for something lightweight and infused with antioxidants designed to lighten dark spots or unevenness caused by sun exposure.
4. Befriend lesser known ingredients like Papain and Omega-3. It won't matter if you've lost your summer tan; if you're using a moisturizing oil or lotion containing the right ingredients you'll glow all year round. Sheen-inducing moisturizers containing Papain, a fancy word for Papaya enzymes, which work to gently dissolve dead and dull skin and promote healthy cell turnover. In addition, Omega-3—that super good-for-you-stuff found in flaxseed and salmon—isn't only beneficial when eaten. It also works wonders when applied topically, soothing irritation and inflammation, as well as increasing luminosity. Body products containing either or both of these ingredients are a great day-of solution for freshly shaved legs or for simply giving you an allover goddess-like sheen.
5. Protect. Nobody likes a sunburned bride—not to mention one with visible tan lines. Ensure that your body care isn't wasted by smoothing on a broad spectrum SPF 30 every day. Want to do more than just protect? Reverse existing damage by using a multipurpose sunscreen that offers lightweight broad spectrum protection and also features regenerative apple stem cells or wrinkle-smoothing synthetic snake venom to soften wrinkles and lift dark spots. There are tons of dual action sunscreens to fit your distinct needs. Just be sure to test them first to keep clear of greasy, white streak-inducing, or overly perfumed sunscreens. Not everyone wants to smell like a coconut on their wedding day.
More From Huffington Post Weddings:
Bridal Guru Colin Cowie Answers Your Burning Design Questions
Is It Fair To Put Your Bridesmaids In Hideous Dresses?
The Most Candid Wedding Advice You'll Ever Read