On a drizzly Friday morning a few weeks back (how positively British!), I popped by the gorgeous Jo Malone London flagship store on New York City's Bleecker Street for a full debriefing on the umpteen scrumptious scents, candles, body crémes, and Vitamin E-laced skincare the brand offers.
Why the store pop-by? To meet Shaun Rowan, Jo's charming and dapper trainer extraordinaire. Happily, Shaun agreed to coach me for my upcoming role in Beauty Editors' Day at Saks Fifth Avenue in New York, where I'll be behind the Jo counter all day on August 16, dispensing wedding beauty tips (and just generally creating mayhem). See the full details a the bottom of the post to sign up to come chat with me!
Photo: Courtesy of Jo Malone
I learned oodles during my two-hour tea-and-crumpets session that could be of use to all you beautiful brides. But I've narrowed it down to these bite-size bits of intel:
1) There's something called a "Fragrance Arc." And it makes narrowing the field of yummy Jo scents a much easier task. When you're on the hunt for the absolutely perfect wedding fragrance, you'll need a scented jumping-off point. Why not choose among such crucial perfume categories as Citrus, Fruity, Light Floral, Spicy, and Woody?
2) Fragrance-combining is the key to a "bespoke" wedding scent. You could find just one delicious Jo scent and be done with it, but chances are you'll want to go for something completely "you." Let's say you pick a scent from the Citrus family, such as the much-beloved Lime Basil & Mandarin—by combining it with one of the spicier numbers, like the intoxicating Pomegranate Noir, you'll have crafted your very own big-day signature scent.
3) Arm massages are a crazy-relaxing way to defuse bridal stress. And when you pop by any Jo Malone counter, they are yours for the asking.
4) Massive candles can scent your entire reception space. (The jumbo-sized Jo Malone candles are unspeakably divine.)
5) How's this for cute? There's a rose called "Benjamin Britten." It's one of the heart notes in Red Roses (above), perhaps one of the bride-iest, most wedding-perfect scents of all time.
Beauty Editors Day is August 16 from noon to 7pm at Saks Fifth Avenue's flagship store in NYC. For a $30 donation, you'll get all your bridal beauty questions answered, plus an awesome free gift from Jo Malone London. Proceeds go to Look Good Feel Better. Call 866-395-LOOK(5665) now to book.