5 Easy Tips for Changing Your Name

Brides Behind the Scenes

Photo by Serg Bloche/BRIDES

It seems that sometimes the r that distinguishes Ms. from Mrs. stands for "red tape." Here's how to streamline the process of taking his name:

1) Ask your job's human-resources department what forms you need for your W-2 and health insurance. (Or hire a name-changing service, like MissNowMrs.com, to deal with it.)

2) Contact Social Security. To get a new card, you'll need to send or bring a certified copy of a document containing your new legal name to the nearest Social Security office.

3) Visit your bank to change your name on your account and to open any new joint accounts. (Your guy will probably have to come, too.)

4) Apply for a new passport after your honeymoon, since you need a marriage certificate to get it. (Leaving the U.S.? Book the flight under your maiden name, since the name on the ticket must match the one on your old passport.)

5) Check with your local department of motor vehicles about changing your license and your car registration.

BRIDES magazine

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift

Get personalized planning advice, exclusive offers and must-read wedding news.

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com