It's difficult to find a wedding hairstyle that's elegant and low-key at the same time, but I thought the Mad Men-inspired ponytails at the recent Alfred Angelo runway show put a check in both boxes—they felt unfussy, polished, and fresh. I was backstage watching as the hairstylists from Salon AKS worked their magic, and I can tell you that getting the look definitely required more than your average heading-to-a-workout ponytail. So I asked the pros to for tips on recreating the style. Here's the how-to:
1. Start by applying a golf ball size amount of mousse to your hair.
2. Blow dry hair, being especially careful to smooth out the hairline area and ends.
3. Using a silk paddle brush, brush all the hair up and towards your crown. Tip: Brush hair one inch above where you want the ponytail height to actually be. The ponytail will drop at least one inch by the time you wrap the ponytail holder around it to finish the look.
4. Secure the ponytail in place with a bungee elastic. Tip: As you create the ponytail, keep your chin up towards the ceiling while you are brushing and securing it into place. This ensures that there is no bump underneath the ponytail. [Ed note: This tip seriously changed my life—No more bumps!]
5. Smooth flyaways using a comb or brush. Add hold and shine by using a strong hairspray or drop of soft hold wax. Tip: If you desire a softer finish in front and/or some height place the end of a tailcomb under the top layer and lightly pull up to the desired height and softness.
6. Wrap a small section of hair around the elastic and secure with a hairpin.
There you have it! Check out more of my favorite wedding hair and makeup ideas from New York Bridal Fashion Week by clicking here. —Lauren Matthews, editor
Visit our Hairstyle Ideas Gallery for more ways to wear your hair.